Rabbit Recipes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tucker, Mar 25, 2006.

1. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

Simple yummy rabbit.

One rabbit cut up (can use more but need to increase the other ingredients)
    One can mushroom soup
    4 carrots, sliced up
    1 large onion, chopped up
    2 cups good stock (any kind will do)

Brown rabbit and put into oven proof dish, put in carrots and onions and cover with mushroom soup and stock. Place in a slow oven (around 275) and cook all day. The rabbit will be meltingly tender and the stock will reduce to a thick rich gravy.

Serve with mashed potatoes and favorite veg. You will never have leftovers with this one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. pfaubush

pfaubush Well-Known Member

Rabbit with Wild Rice and Mushroom Sauce

Cook enough wild rice to fill the inside of a rabbit. Saute 1/2 an onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic and add to the rice. Stuff rabbit and place in casserole dish. Add some vegetables to the dish and cover with one cup of soup stock and one can of mushroom soup. Bake at 300 for about 2 1/2 hours.

3. Charly

Charly Well-Known Member

As a child I can remember my grandmother making Hassenpfeffer. A German dish of sour rabbit. Here is her recipe.

meat from 1 rabbit
    1 ½ C vinegar
    1 ½ C water
    1 onion, sliced
    1 ½ t salt
    ½ t pepper
    whole cloves
    3 bay leaves
    3 T butter
    1 C sour cream

The rabbit meat should be placed in a deep bowl and covered with equal parts vinegar and water. Add one large sliced onion, salt, pepper, a few whole cloves, and bay leaves. Cover and place in refrigerator. Let soak two days, turning several times – then remove the meat and drain it. (Save the liquid).
    Brown pieces of the meat in hot butter. Gradually add some of the liquid in which the meat was pickled. Cover and let simmer until the meat is tender (30-45 minutes). Just before serving, stir 1 C thick sour cream into the sauce.

“I can remember walking up the long sidewalk to Grandma’s house and getting a whiff of the vinegar several yards from the house. She always served this with what we called “Cannon Balls” (a type of dumpling with croutons in the center). You could fry up onions, mushrooms and the rabbit with bacon.

When we were growing up, Dad raised rabbits. We had a few Dutch bunnies, long-eared Lops, and Angora rabbits that we use to show for 4-H. My Dad also raised some rabbits that were strictly for eating; I think they were called New Zealand Reds? My brothers and I were responsible for taking care of the rabbits, thus they all acquired names. When it came time for Dad to butcher them, none of us kids wanted to eat them; they were pets. My Mom, being so smart, started to purchase a pair of chicken wings at the grocery store that she would cook along with the rabbit meat. We kids were thus happy to eat the rabbit, thinking it was chicken. After all, when was the last time you saw a rabbit with wings?”

Studhauler likes this.
  4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Got the idea for this while injecting the goat with 60 cc's of CMPK...

ANYway.

Buttery Inside Out Rabbit

1 rabbit (whole or cut up)
    1/2 stick butter, or equivalent amount olive oil)
    Herbamare seasoning (or other dry seasoning mix, but it has to be ground fine)
    Vegetables (celery, carrots, potatoes, turnips) cut into chunks

Special Tools Needed:
    12 or 14g hypodermic needle
    12 cc syringe

Put rabbit into foil-lined roasting pan. Melt butter in pan with seasoning. Pull butter solution into syringe, and inject into rabbit muscles.

Bake in a medium oven for an hour; add vegetables and cook another hour.

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool, Pony! I'll bet it's delicious.

Long before there were "butterball" turkeys (prebasted) my Dad did the same thing with a huge Christmas turkey. It works!

6. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

Do you debone after cooking or before as in this video?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ud68Qmdyc[/ame]

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Meh. I debone after cooking. Don't feel like playing around with it.

8. teamhillbilly

teamhillbilly Member

Humm good thread lots of good info, we eat rabbit two or three times a week.

9. Suzy_Bean

Suzy_Bean Member

Wow. This sounds incredible. I will have to give it a try!

10. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Sesame RabbitNotes: I think you could simplify things by marinating in a raspberry vinaigrette dressing and adding some sesame oil. And the batter could be Bisquick with an egg added and water enough to make a batter of pancake consistency. (I've tried the Bisquick method, and its just as good.) The sauce gives off a very biting odor when its boiling, but never fear, the finished product is delicious!
    Ingredients:
    1 rabbit, cut into cubes
    2 T raw sesame seeds
    2 green onions (sliced)
    Marinade-
    1 tsp chicken base
    ¼ tsp salt
    ½ tsp sesame oil
    ground white pepper (to taste)
    ¼ tsp sugar
    1 T raspberry wine (or any fruity flavored wine)
    Batter-
    ½ c all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 egg (beaten)
    ½ c water (or as much as needed to make batter smooth)
    3 T cornstarch
    salt (to taste)
    1 T vegetable oil
    Sauce-
    3 T honey
    2 T sugar
    salt (to taste)
    2 T ketchup
    1 T white distilled vinegar
    a sprinkle of ground black pepper

Cooking Instructions:
    Combine marinade ingredients in gallon baggie, add rabbit pieces and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
    Meanwhile, in separate bowl combine all of the batter ingredients and mix thoroughly. The batter should be thick enough to coat the rabbit but thin enough to flow around the pieces. Set aside.
    Using a fork or tongs remove the pieces of rabbit from the marinade and dip them into the batter to coat evenly (one by one). Deep fry the rabbit in batches in your deep fryer for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. (or you can fry in hot oil at about 325 degrees in your wok for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown)
    In your wok combine the sauce ingredients and warm over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring and simmer until sauce slightly thickens.
    In the wok or in a serving dish coat rabbit with the sauce and garnish with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
    Serve over rice

11. countryfied2011

countryfied2011 Well-Known Member

So have I messed up my rabbit?

I have never cooked or eaten rabbit, but DH, Dad and neighbor have. DH and neighbor said to cook it whole baked in oven with some seasoning and rub down in some oil. Dad said to cook it like minute/cube steak with gravy. I saw where you could wrap bacon, wish I had read that before I started cooking..

So here is what I did...rub Grapeseed Oil Garlic Blend on it, then mildly seasoned with pepper/salt and garlic herb blend. Put cut up onion in the cavity. Added a little bit of water to baking dish, with a teaspoon of flour covered with aluminum foil.

I see where most cut the rabbit up before cooking...so will cooking it whole make it taste differently? Should i at anytime uncover to let it get brown(i was going to brown it a little in skillet before baking but DH said not too...lol)

What sides do you normally serve with rabbit...I was thinking coleslaw, stewed new potatoes. Any suggestion much appreciated.

Like I said i am clueless.

susieneddy likes this.
  12. MaggieJ

Countryfied2011, rabbit is as versatile as chicken and it is hard to spoil it entirely. If you cook it too hot or too fast, it may be tough, but the flavour will still be fine. You can cook it whole or cut up, covered or uncovered.

Apple juice is a wonderful liquid to add to rabbit. Along with some herbs, black pepper and maybe a little garlic, it will add a nice flavour as the rabbit cooks and will help keep it moist.

susieneddy likes this.
  13. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

Easy Rabbit Kiev.

Cut one rabbit into bite sized bits and put into an oven proof dish.

Over it put four tablespoons dried garlic or six large cloves of garlic chopped small.

Two tablespoons dried parsley. You can use fresh if you like, mine all got eaten by the caterpillars this year so I am using dried lol.

Two eggs well beaten.

Mix it all together and then put one stick of butter sliced into bits all over the top.

Then take a packet of saltine crackers, crush them into crumbs and put in a layer over the top.

Cover with lid or foil and bake at 350 for two or so hours. If its an older rabbit cook it slower and longer or if its nice and young, cook it for quite a bit less.

Its really good!

14. countryfied2011

Thanks so much MaggieJ, the rabbit turned out very tasteful, a little chewy. DH seemed to think maybe it was an older rabbit. We are wanting to raise meat rabbits for ourselves and I had never eaten them before, so we picked this one up from the Farmer's Market(there is a butcher there that I buy meat from occasionally). I loved the flavor of it so it is a "go" for raising. :thumb:

Now if i could just find a breeder in my area..lol

susieneddy likes this.
  15. MaggieJ

Countryfied2011, you were wise to try rabbit meat before getting into raising them. Generally speaking, a fryer is under 12 weeks/5 pounds, a roaster is over 12 weeks but under one year old and a stewer is older than a year. Much as with chickens. It sounds to me as though you may have bought a roaster.

For roasters or stewers, our very favourite recipe is rabbit pie.
    http://rabbittalk.com/i-m-making-a-rabbit-pie-t3094.html

susieneddy likes this.
  16. Jayleen

Jayleen Well-Known Member

I'm cooking rabbit for the first time today I cooked it in the crockpot last night now going to make a tortilla cassoral with it

susieneddy likes this.
  17. Fat Man

Fat Man Well-Known Member

Bunny Liver Pate

2 Bunny livers and 2 Bunny hearts, chopped
    1/2 cup lactose free milk (or regular milk)
    Schmaltz from fat of 2 bunnies
    1/4 cup Earth Balance, cut into pieces (or butter)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 teaspoon ground sage
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup brandy

Day 1

Schmaltz
    Render fat from Kidney area over low heat with a slice of onion. When fat has rendered, strain and reserve.
    Soak livers and hearts in milk overnight.

Day 2

Sauté onions in the schmaltz over medium high heat until soft, add the garlic and continue a few minutes more. When the mixture is fragrant add the bunny bits and spices. Cook till the bits are brown on the outside and still a little pink inside. Remove from the flame and add the brandy and ignite (I turn the lights down to better see the flame. Continue cooking until the flame dies out and most of the moisture is gone. Spoon into the blender and give it a whirl adding the Earth Balance/butter. When it is blended smooth spoon portions into a wire strainer and push through the mesh. This will make it smother, getting rid of little hunks of stuff. Pack the stuff into an oiled mold and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Push as much air out as possible. Place in refrigerator.

Day 3

Spread it on crackers and enjoy.

This was adapted from a recipe I found on the web the other day.

18. countryfied2011

Made this last weekend. I normally make it with chicken but decided to try it with the rabbit.

• Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Original with all the spices
    • 3 small cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup I use Aldi's and I think they are smaller than Campbells not positive though
    • water to mix with the rice and soup, stir it all up, place in a glass baking dish(you can add salt and pepper if you wish, I didnt because of the spices)
    • then added the rabbit skinned,deboned and chunked into med size peices
    • covered with aluminum foil and baked on 300 for about 90 minutes
    It was so good and tender, served with salad and garlic bread

Our rabbit was around 9 months old, we were able to get two meals out of him for DH and I. I only used half the meat in this dish and froze the other half and will use it in a different dish.

susieneddy likes this.
  19. ~Kat

~Kat Member

I have made these sammiches before, but I did it a little differently.

I started with an older stew rabbit and boiled it with water, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. I simmered it for a few hours to reduce it down and removed the bones, continued simmering until it most of the liquid was gone. Then I made up a BBQ sauce and mixed it in, turned off the heat and let it absorb the flavors for about 20-30 min, then served it on a bun and OH MY, one of my favorite ways to have rabbit to date!!