Rabbit Recipes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tucker, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

This is from the website recipeland.com

Canned Rabbit Soup--makes 25 qts.

5 large Rabbits cooked and deboned

15 pounds potatoes

1 large celery stalk

5 pounds carrots

2 pounds onions

12 chicken bullion cubes

2 quarts homecanned peas

Add water to your liking. When the vegetables are soft, have canning jars ready. Fill. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each jar and can in boiling water bath for 3 hours; if you have a pressure cooker, 90 minutes.

Makes about 25 quarts.

2. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

shake and bake

Danella likes this.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

SALSA RABBIT (Crockpot Recipe)

*All quantities are approximate, or to your personal taste.

Cut up one fryer/roaster into serving pieces. You may brown pieces if you like.

Place pieces in crockpot. Smother with chopped/diced tomatoes, onions, bell pepper. Grind some fresh peppercorns over all. Let cook all day on LOW, or for a few hours on HIGH.

**You could add some tomato juice or water for a broth to serve on a bed of rice or noodles.

**You could add Jalapeno peppers to your personal taste.

NeHi

4. ahahahni1

ahahahni1 Mama MacDonald

2 cups cooked rabbit chopped
    1 can cream of mushroom
    1 can cream of chicken
    1 can peas, drained
    season salt to taste
    Onion powder, to taste
    Roll of refrigerator biscuits

Mix all ingredients together in a a bowl. Open biscuits and roll one out as big as you can. Put a spoon full of mix in the center and pull up sides and pinch like a purse. You can set them on a cookie sheet or inside a muffin pan to cook in the oven. They look prettier and fluff up better if you set then in a muffin pan. Bake at 350 until tops are golden brown.

5. Jim Bunton

Jim Bunton Well-Known Member Supporter

Pulled BBQ rabbit

Cook rabbit in slow cooker until meat falls away from the bone pull meat off bone and tear into small pieces. add onion and favorite BBQ sauce serve in sandwiches on buns.

Pulled BBQ rabbit pizza

Use above recipes for BBQ.
    mix 2/3 pizza sauce and 1/3 BBQ sauce spread on pizza crust add BBQ rabbit, bacon bits, onion, and cheese bake according to crust directions.

Jim Bunton

redneckswife likes this.
  6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Pound boned loins or thighs until thickness is fairly even. Sprinkle with seasoning of your choice (lemon pepper, cajun, and jerk are all good). Grill just until done. Eat as is, or use like a chicken breast filet in a salad or sandwich.

7. celticfarmgal

celticfarmgal Well-Known Member

8. DETMURDS

DETMURDS Retired US Navy

On Thursday night I made some Rabbit Adobo!

Cut the rabbit like you would a chicken,.then put all the ingredients in a bowl or something similar,.....here are the ingredients: put about a half cup of soy sauce, a 1/4 cup of vinegar, squeeze half a lemon, some black pepper, and marinate over night, or for a few hours. I cooked it on the BBQ and was pretty good for the first rabbit that I have eaten since I was 18 years old. I am 44 now. Going to eat some leftovers here shortly since I am the only one who will eat it here at the house!:rock:

9. cathleenc

cathleenc Well-Known Member Supporter

Rabbit Sauteed in Wine

1 rabbit, cut into 6 pieces
    1 white onion, thinly sliced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 cup of dry white wine
    1/1 cup of water
    1/2 tsp each of marjoram & thyme, dried
    1 cup white flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp gr black pepper
    1/3 cup olive oil or butter

1) put the flour, pepper, and salt into a paper bag and mix. Add the rabbit pieces, one at a time, and shake till well coated. Shake any loose, excess flour off each piece and set aside till all pieces are coated.

2) heat olive oil or butter in saute pan large enough to accomodate all the rabbit at one time (not cast iron) till medium-hot. Add floured rabbit pieces and saute till lightly browned. Turn rabbit and brown on opposite side. Remove to plate when browned.

3) use spatula to scrape loose any browned bits. Add more oil or butter if pan is dry - then add onions and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes till soft and just beginning to change color.

4) return rabbit to pan along with any juices that have accumulated on plate. Add wine, water, and herbs. Cover, turn heat to low, and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes till rabbit is done but not dried out. Add more water or wine if pan juices evaporate too much.

enjoy with rice or over pasta!

susieneddy likes this.
  10. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

1 dressed and boned rabbit (6 pounds), cut up
    2 teaspoons salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
    1-1/4 teaspoons white pepper
    3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
    Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    In a meat grinder or food processor, process the mixture in small batches until coarsely ground.
    Stir in apple.
    Shape into 16 patties, 3 in. each.
    Heat oil in a skillet; cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until sausage is browned
    and inside is no longer pink.

11. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

A- 3lbs of rabbit

B- 12 Garlic Cloves
    1 onion
    1 8oz can of tomato sause
    1 tblsp Salt
    1 cup oliv oil
    1/4 cup Vinegar
    1 bay leaf
    12 olives with piminto (i didnt use them as i hate olives)
    2 tblsp Capers

C- 2lbs Potatos (i used NewPotatos)
    1 tsp salt
    3 cups white wine

Add B mix to cut up and cubed rabbit in large pot, Rappidly Boil cover and simmer over low heat about 1 1/2 hours

Add C mix and rappidly boil, cover and simmer over low heat till potatos are done,
    Un cover and boil over moderate heat till sause is thick for your tast.

again eat all of the pot in the first setting or soon after other wise leftovers will be STRONG with all that garlic and white wine lol

12. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

This is a great meal for putting in the oven at midday and having a delicious falling-off-the-bone meal early that evening.

1 2.5 - 3 lb rabbit, cut up
    vegetable oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried: basil, rosemary, thyme
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 pint broth (rabbit or chicken)
    1 bottle amber beer (optional)

In large cast iron skillet, brown the rabbit in the oil on medium high heat.
    Remove rabbit to plate.
    Saute onion and garlic until soft, about 2 minutes.
    Return rabbit to skillet.
    Add spices and broth, also beer if you're using it.
    Cover skillet with tin foil and bake at 250F for 4-5 hours.

For a lemon-herb dish, after the rabbit is done you can remove the rabbit from the pan and make a sauce/gravy as follows.

1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    5 Tbsp cold water

Mix flour with lemon juice and water until lumps are dissolved.
    Mix into pan drippings and bring to a boil.
    Boil, stirring, for about 2 minutes until thickened.

13. NostalgicGranny

NostalgicGranny Well-Known Member Supporter

Bunny Sausage (canned) ---- Kerr Home Canning Book c1941

6 lbs rabbit meat (it doesn't stipulate but most likely ground)
    2 Tbsp Salt
    2 Small onions minced
    2 Tsp Pepper
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1 Bay leaf (I crumble it)
    1/2 tsp sage (I add a whole lot more sage)
    1 or 2 eggs well beaten
    1/2 cup Ground crackers or bread crumbs
    3/4 c sweet milk

Mix well & mold into small cakes. Fry till nicely browned. Pack into clean jars. 1" headroom. Add 3-4 Tbsp of the grease in which they were fried. Cap tightly. 60 min @ 15 lbs pressure or 90 min @ 10 lbs pressure.

*** I have never made this with actual rabbit meat - I use ground turkey.
    Normally I at least double the sage, and add 1/2 tsp each of onion powder and garlic powder. And also a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
    I have never canned it either - we eat it to fast. If I were to can it I would probably add broth instead of grease.

14. Menglish

Menglish Well-Known Member

Actually I originally started making this with squirrels but rabbits are nearly as tastey in this. Just substitute 1 or 2 rabbits and you can shorten the crock pot time...just cook it easily comes off the bones.

Ingredients:

6-8 squirrels cleaned, and parted. (I discard the rib cages when I clean the squirrels)

I can of Grands biscuits...NOT THE FLAKY varietey...I usually use butter milk or butter tasting variety. Although the original works just fine too.

1 beef and 1 chicken boullion cube. (or equivilent of soup base OR you can just start with chicken broth)

1 can cream of mushroom soup.

Dried minced onions OR 1 small fresh onion diced.

garlic powder to taste

season salt to taste

pepper to taste

Instructioins:

Place the squirrel parts in a slow cooker or crock pot and cover with water. Add the boullion cubes, onion, garlic powder, season salt, and peppper. Cook on high until squirrel starts to flake off the bones easily. With gray squirrels about 4-5 hours. Some fox squirrels will take 5-6 hours.

When squirrel is done take the squirrel out and set it aside to cool. (Usually it's falling apart so much I use a slotted spoon to remove the squirrel.) Pour the broth from the crock pot into a large heavy pan and place over low heat on the stove. You will need to add some water to the broth at this time. Add just enough to make it taste like soup broth. IT will be too salty if you do not do this. Usually 2-3 cups will be enough but it may vary depending on the crock pot and the amount of squirrels covered so you must taste!

Add the cream of mushroom soup and whisk in. Once the squirrel has cooled enough to debone it pick all the meat off the bones and add the meat back to the broth. Bring the mixture to a slow boil. Cut the grand biscuits into 1/4s or 1/6s and add to the slow boiling mixture. Reduce the heat so that it just simmers and with a spoon gently dunk all the peices down into the mixture a couple of times. Now loosely cover the pan and allow to cook for approximately 10 minutes...or until the "dumplings are done". During this 10 minutes gently dunk the dumplings down once or twice. This helps thicken the broth to a more gravy like consistancy.

OPTIONS

Sometimes when the squirrel is about half way done I'll add chopped carrots or diced potatoes for variety. IF your family likes mushrooms you can add a can or two or some sliced fresh mushrooms...we really like this. Another thing I like to do sometimes is when I put the broth on the stove is add a drained can of corn. I'm sure you could add mixed vegies when you put it on the stove or???

Hope this is clear as I'm not Betty Crocker or Martha Stewart! :lol:

Mike

15. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Anniversary "Chicken"

1 rabbit, cut into pieces
    1/3 cup teriyaki marinade
    1/3 cup ranch dressing
    3 green onions, chopped
    bacon bits
    shredded cheddar

Put rabbit into casserole dish.
    Mix teriyaki marinade and ranch dressing, pour over rabbit
    Top with chopped onions

Bake at low heat (300 or so) for 2-3 hours.
    Top with bacon bits and shredded cheese and bake about 15 mins. longer

--
    I did this and used chopped onion because I had no green onions handy. Then we just ate it w/o the bacon bits and cheese. It is good with rice but roasted potatoes would be better. Goes well with broccoli or peas, and pineapple.

16. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

A recipe for the crockpot! So easy to make and sooo good!

About 3 lbs of rabbit
    2-3 cups of cut up vegetables (carrots, potatoes, onions, celery)
    1 package dry chicken gravy
    1 package dry ranch dressing
    1 package dry italian dressing
    1 cup of water

Place rabbit in crockpot. Add vegetables on sides and ontop of rabbit. Mix all three packages of dry gravy and dressings in a small bowl. Add water and blend well. Pour dressing/gravy mixture over rabbit and vegetables. Cook on high for 4 hours or low 6+ hours. Great with rolls or biscuits!

Forty Acres and Clod Kicker like this.
  17. nzw tom

nzw tom Well-Known Member

1 Fryer rabbit, cut up
    Apple juice
    1 tsp Fresh dill
    1 cup mayo
    1 tsp brown mustard
    2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1/2 onion choped
    1 stalk celery diced

Boil rabbit in apple juice til done. Cool and debone. Dice meat. Add onion and celery and mix together.

In a bowl combine mayo, mustard, lemon juice and dill, stir.

Add mayo mixture to rabbit and stir. Place on a roll or bread and enjoy.

18. vikav

vikav Well-Known Member

(will work with chicken liver too)

The recipe is for 1 whole liver of about 12-16 week old rabbit. It only makes a small amount of pate. If anyone wants more, they should multiply the ingredients by the number of livers used, except I wouldn't use more than 1 large onion per 2-4 livers. For this recipe, I use a small Bullet blender, but if I multiply the recipe 3-4 times, I use my KitchenAid mixer with the meat grinder attachment. I just put the egg, the liver and the onions through the grinder, and then whip it with a flat beater.

1 liver
    1 small yellow or red onion, peeled and cut up in chunks or rings
    1 cup of milk, or enough to cover the liver
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp salted butter, melted
    oil
    salt

Rinse the liver of all blood. Put it in a cup or a bowl and cover with milk. Put this in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours. After 2 hours, fry up the onions in a little oil until translucent or a little browned, and set them aside. Pour the liver with the milk into a sauce pan, so the liver is in a single layer, add the onions with the oil they've been cooked in, cover, and cook on medium-low heat until just done. While the liver is cooking, boil the egg until hard. The liver doesn't take very long to cook, and if overcooked, it loses some of its texture, so it is better to keep checking it every couple of minutes. To know if it's cooked, poke the thickest piece of the liver with a fork. If no blood comes out, and the liver has changed its color, it's done. Put the liver (without the milk it was cooked in), the peeled hard boiled egg, and about 1/2 of the fried onions from the sauce pan in a blender and blend well, add melted butter and salt to taste, and blend until combined. It should be the consistency of soft, fluffy mashed potatoes. If it's too thick, you can add a teaspoon or more of the liquid from the sauce pan. Serve warm, as a spread, with some bread. You can garnish it on top with the left over fried onions. Refrigerate the leftovers, keeping in mind that it does not keep for very long.

19. meorgeim

meorgeim New Member

mr. Tucker thanks for the rabbit biscuit pie, i love to do and eat it..