Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of a rabbit disease that rabbits can get where their urnie is a red color or is bloody. I have searched the net over an can't seem to find the correct thing for it. Have any of you battled with this disease in rabbits?

Thanks for your help on this. I'm waiting on a rabbit book to come in mail to see if it has the name of diease in it but before then need your all advice on it.

All of my rabbits I have so far are doing great plus the 3 little babies rabbits I showed a photo of a while back are gone to their new homes. :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hi im new here, ive been in the back ground reading the posts and learning allot from you all...
in my own on the job training with rabbits its food thats to blame for red urine.. in my case sweet potatos.. i thought they were a great treat,hard sweet yummy for the buns. untill my all white doe started looking like a pumkin from the buck i had stacked above her
he peed down the backside of the cages missing the tray she liked the back corner.. lesson-no more stacked cages for me!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Welcome to the rabbit forum, Sileigh!

We've been talking a lot about natural foods for rabbits. Not to hijack this thread, but how do you feed sweet potatoes and how much? Have you ever fed them the sweet potato vines, or just the tubers?

·
Registered
831 Posts
According to Rabbit Production, 8th Edition:

A red coloration of the urine may be seen. This seems to be a normal
phenomenon in the rabbit and does not indicate a disease problem.
The pigment is especially apparent when the urine is alkaline. Certain
types of feeds, such as alfalfa and Leucaena, seen to increase the
intensity of the pigmentation of the urine. The pigment has not
been identified but is most likely a porphyrin. It might be derived
from phenolic compounds (tannins) which many forages and feed
ingredients contain.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
thanks
i only feed scraps from the kitchen
when i make sweet potatos or yams i cut off the ends ( they seem to cook faster) then i peice the ends so every one gets a peice. so they are small chuck maybe a square inch.. not much as i feed pellets for then main course.

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know about the food can cause the urine to be red in color but there is also a rare diease that can cause the urine in rabbit to be red or almost like blood. There is a person I know of that has had rabbits to die from it. The vet told them the name of the diease but I can't think of it. I have search on the internet about it an can't find it but did find information about the urine being red in color at times by what you feed rabbits but there is a diease that causes the urine to be bloody. I will keep searching the net for the diease.

Never mind just found the information out. It is called hematuria.. It doesn't happen to offen but can.

Also found this to be rare: Bilirubin and urobilinogen: In very rare instances, the discoloration of the urine may be due to the presence of chemicals called bilirubin and urobilinogen. Increased levels of bilirubin and urobilinogen may be found in the blood and the urine if the rabbit has liver disease or her blood cells are being destroyed. I just called my friend vet an they told me what to look up it is the second one not the first one.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Glad you found what you were looking for, White Eagle. It can be frustrating when you know it's out there, but can't find it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts