rabbit proof fence thats stud horse strong?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by norsebear, Mar 5, 2005.

1. norsebear

norsebear Member

Hello Folks,
    greetings from Far S.W. Missouri and the Ozark Mountains!
    We were kickin around the idea of getting a couple of feeder pigs this spring, but the old timers tell me I need a rabbit proof fence that’s stud horse strong for pigs. I have also heard stories of pigs catching and eating chickens. Any one know the answer to these questions? We are raising rare breed chickens that free range in the daytime and I don't want some pig that I plan to eat, eating my chickens. Is there a cheap easy way to raise a couple of feeder pigs up to slaughter weight with no disasters?

Awaiting your knowledge, Hillbilly Mike​

2. dustin2112

dustin2112 Member

Hey Mike go to your local MFA, or livestock supply store and buy you some hog panels, I live up here in Steelville, MO. they cost right around 22.00 a piece and are 16' long and are 4' high I bought 3 for 2 feeder pigs and wire tied them together and made a circle with them. drove t-post on the outside every 8ft. or so, no problems at all. I used a plastic barrel for a house until the pigs got to big and built an A-frame style hog house and opened up the pen and attached it to both sides of the house,they love it. well good luck.

3. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

I think that expession "stud horse strong and rabbit proof" is just an expression to describe how hard it is to keep pigs fenced in. I too used the hog panels, but I fastened the ends of the panels to cedar posts and put the metal "T-posts" every 4 feet between the cedar posts. I fastened the panels to the wood posts with 1 1/2 inch fence staples. I fastened the panel to the T-posts using the clips that come with them. Build them a shelter, and you're done. I raised 6 feeders to 285 lbs (live weight) in this and had no escapes!! Good luck!

I had to come back in to edit this to answer the other part of your question. Yes - pigs will eat live chickens if the chickens are stupid enough to go into the pigpen. My wife told me about a family she used to babysit for as a teenager who had pigs. Their dog (a sheltie) got into the pen and was attacked and eaten by the pigs. Pigs kept in the same barn as chickens have been known to raise up and snatch a bird off the fence where the bird decided to roost. If I were you I'd fence in my birds too!.

4. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Norsebear,
    We use high tensil fencing on our hog lot & have never had a problem with them getting out aside of the time i left the gate open.
    in my opinion if your doing a larger area or a very large area it is the best way to go, the pigs learn electric very very fast & our tam's don't even test it anymore. It is by far the chaepest fencing you can buy & does the best job of keeping critters in.
    as far as pigs & chickens go, our chickens free range all over , where ever they want to go. & they often find themselves in the hog lot & our pigs never bother them in the least, although i have seen the hogs chase a bird off that got to close to the feeder when they were eating.
    It seems to me that if you free range your hogs as well as your birds you will have far less problems as long as both animals have what they consider as enough space to live in.
    I think the problems with pigs eating other critters arise from beeing confined & not having enough feed, we have our pigs on a free choice diet of good quality feed & all they wanna eat of it. & they have plenty of ground to root around in to get the other suppliments they need
    Good Luck
    Rick

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i had a pig that we raised that would always eat chickens if they strayed in her pen .....
    now we have 4 pigs and they dont touch the chickens who wander in thier pen to clean up the leftover grain ...

my thinking is , depends on the pig ( BTW i feed my pigs free choice feed, plus they have pasture , so in neither case are/were they "hungry"

after while with the one sow, we just figured it was farm version of darwinism , stupid chickens get et, smart ones that go after the grain from the outside of the pen never got eaten :D
    but here with the pigs we have now, ive seen the chickens sitting on the backs of the pigs, and suffering no ill effects....
    maybe its an individual thing ... i know to test my thinking out we did feed the non chicken eating pigs a chicken that ran in front of the pellet gun , when son and dad were out "hunting" and they ate that chicken ....
    dunno...
    B

6. norsebear

norsebear Member

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!