Rabbit Problems

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by aandwhomepro, Feb 6, 2005.

1. aandwhomepro

aandwhomepro Member

I am new here and do not raise rabbits for meat but I do have 2 English lops that are having some problems.
    I have a male and a female and they are seperated however they might share a water bottle on occasion. The male started a few weeks ago with what seemed like back problems. He would just lay down all day and when he stood his back end would just fall over. Our buck seems to have gotton better in the past few weeks he back problem has gone away but he has not been eating and drinking much. During the past week I have put an anitbiotic in their water bottles hoping it would help. Meanwhile our doe is in worse shape she has not been eating or drinking. (I feel like a bad rabbit owner) But she has had what I have now determined is fur mites on her back for some time and I have been treating that. She also has always had droopy eyes(after reading some posts I see that it is not normal) Anyway she is skinny and doesnt move around very well. A friend of mine that works at a vet game me some Prednizone to give the rabbits and I gave them some tonight.
    If that isnt enough.....We have 3 "Pet" free range hens and we lost one today. She had been acting like she was about to start molting. She was kind of sluggish and her comb was shriveled up>
    I dont know if these problems could be related but I would appriciate any help that anyone could give.

aandwhomepro

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

With my most recent rabbit problem, our Holland Lop was falling over, not eating or drinking or anything. We took her to the vet. They did a whole bunch of tests, X-rays, gave her IV's, and gave her baytril. That was the $950 vet bill, and she's better now, everything's back to normal. With just the IV's and the baytril, she would have been fine. No idea what caused it, but all they really said is that her liver and kidneys were messed.

Duplicating what the vet/ we did for ours...
    -Make sure they get water, even if it means jamming a syringe (no needle!) into their mouth and giving it too them that way. Lots and lots of water

- Make sure they're eating. They might not want pellets, but powder some (14% protein!), mixing them with water into a slurry and syringe it too. Also, give them non-flavored, all natural yogurt; kale and ROMAINE lettuce.

- Ask you vet-friend for some Bayril. Give them each about .4 of a cc twice a day. (Maple who was 4 pounds got about .3 cc). Baytril is a very good all-round antibiotic, safe for rabbits.

- It would be best if they were in the house, so you can constantly monitor them and shove yogurt under their noses. Make them a "pillow" in case they want to rest their head on something for a bit. If you're home all day, then take their pillow away and try and get them to eat something every 1/2 hour or so. If they sit in the same spot in their cage for 3 hours or so, move them around a bit

Best of luck, those are just some suggestions from what I've experienced
    Alexandra

3. aandwhomepro

aandwhomepro Member

Thank you for the advice.
    Unfortunatly I think I asked it a little late. Our doe died this morning. I am keeping a close eye on the remaining chickens and rabbit. From all the signs I think my unprofessional diagnosis is that they had Coceidiosis. Just hope we have no more deaths..

aandwhomepro