Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have two hutches. They have an indoor bedding area, and an outdoor run that goes onto grass.

In one hutch the rabbit does her business outdoors which is great, as I just have to move the hutch and run along and all stays clean. :) In the other hutch, the rabbit never poops outside, always inside in the bedding and so needs cleaning out almost every 2nd day. :shrug:

The indoor pooper is about to kindle, with any luck and I don't want the kits born into a gicky mess which I won't be able to clear out for a few days as newborns need to be left undisturbed (as far as I can gather from books).

Any advise how to encourage her to go outdoors?! :help:

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Rabbits chose their toilet area, and once the smell has permeated, it's often difficult to get them to move it.

You need a nest box for the rabbit that is about to kindle. She should be given this 27-28 days after she was bred. Put a couple of inches of fresh, clean shavings in the bottom, then clean straw (barley is the best if you can get it) or clean fresh hay. She will use this material to build a nest, and will pull fur. How big is the indoor area? Big enough to accommodate the nest box and still leave room to potty? She will kindle in the box, and do her regular business in her regular spot.

Do a search on this forum with regard to nest box sizes - there have been a couple of good threads recently about sizes, styles, etc.

Also, the bit about not disturbing the nest - forget that. Nest boxes should be inspected regularly and often. I check as soon as I see the doe has kindled, and at least twice a day after that until the kits eyes open. Again, there was a great thread about exactly that here recently as well. Give your doe a treat to distract her while you check the box - a couple of dandelion or raspberry leaves are great - if you are nervous, or if the doe seems frantic and upset at you "messin' with her babies". If your rabbit knows you and is familiar with your scent, there should be no problem at all with you handling the kits.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Maybe you could close off the indoor nest and give her a nest box in the out door area. By the time the kits come out of the box she'll pick a new potty area. Hopefully not the new nest box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.