Rabbit poop - composted/fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by QBVII, Jun 5, 2006.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Can you use rabbit poop in compost or use it to fertilize plants or garden?

TIA

Also want to know the same about chickens.......

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I used to just toss the rabbit poo and shavings straight into the garden. Mind you, I had a big garden and only 2 rabbits. It really did seem to help my garden alot!

Chicken poo, I let rot for a year, it's high in nitrogen and can burn plants when it's fresh.

3. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Exactly, BrahmaMama. Rabbit poo could certainly be put in a composter, or directly on the garden, or run composting worms through it. Chicken manure I'd let compost in its own pile - not in your composter.

4. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I have a lot of rabbits and I also feed hay so I compost mine a big compost pile for at least 6 months then I put the whole pile on the garden or mulch around my fruit trees. Sure does make garden dirt a lot better for clay type land like I have, it decreases the water runoff and makes the soil a lot looser. Chicken is high in Nitrogen so I only put it in the middle of the row if I put it in while plants are there. I will work it in so the water will not let it run off (can you tell I live on a mountain?) Otherwise I put it in the garden in early spring and turn it under mixing it real well with the soil before I plant.

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Bernadette, I knew chicken manure had to be composted before using it in the garden (too hot) but why did you say you'd compost it separately? I'd planned to compost mine in the compost pile along with everything else.

6. twohunnyz

twohunnyz Pacific Northwest

Rabbit manure is the only animal manure that can safely be applied directly into the garden- and around trees, shrubs, plants- without worry of burning them, needing no composting. To compost is just a matter of personal preference. However, it is best to work the rabbit droppings into the soil or apply a light mulch, otherwise all the fabulous Nitrogen sort of 'evaporates' and is lost, plus exposure to the elements will leach the other nutrients. It is nature's practically perfect fertilizer!!!

7. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Chicken manure must be composted for reasons other than the super high Nitrogen levels-- it will leach E-coli for over a year if it is not composted Ideally, one will heat compost Chicken manure---- COVER ANYTHING you compost to preserve the nitrogen-- yes, it "volatizes" or evaporates!! the same can be said of fresh rabbit-- it will lose nitrogen as it dries out...oooh, A bit of Chemistry here-- permitting nitrogen to evaporate-- makes Nitrogen available to make "acid rain" Yes folks-- fertilzer not only pollutes the water, but the air, as well.Good lord, I learned SOMETHING in Chemistry class!!!

8. Bernadette

Nothing wrong with mixing the two - just you don't have to wait for rabbit manure to compost - you can use it now. Chicken you have to wait for. I'm not the most patient person...

9. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

How many of us are? We are oriented towards RABBITS!!!

10. Bernadette

"How many of us are? We are oriented towards RABBITS!!!"

And bunnies are quick about most things they do! Much quicker than me at the moment - surrogate mothers don't get enough sleep!

P.S. - all nine babies still doing well!