Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts
Though a bit off topic - I remember my Mom telling me that the old timers (when she was little) said it was OK to eat mudhens during lent. They said that because they could sit in the cold water and thier feet didn't freeze, they were "cold blooded" and ok to eat.

At some point, the Parish Priest found out about it and put a stop to it.

BTW, most other waterfall had headed south for the winters, but there always seemed to be some mudhens that would stick around on any open water they found - even in MN winters.

Now days, it seems lots of people use Lent as a reason to go out for nice fish dinners on Friday - somehow I don't see how that works in with the intent of the season.

I do recognize that there are two messages in this passage, and I believe both are applicable. Your interpretation is of course, the primary message, but I do not believe God would have used this vision as an illustration if both messages were not accurate. Given just this particular part, I would not take it in itself to mean that all meats are acceptable. There is an abundance of scripture that give me reason to believe that the dietary laws are no longer in effect.

First, given the fact that Christ's death means that we are no longer living under the law, that would include dietary laws. We are saved by Christ, not by what we eat. Romans chapter 7 explains this very well. The dietary laws were a part of the ritualistic obedience commanded by God to the Jews. The purpose of the law was to illustrate our inability to achieve the perfection necessary for salvation. Rituals cannot save us, only Christ can do that.

If we are still bound by the dietary laws, then are we not bound by all of them? If that were the case, we would not be able to shop in most grocery stores, eat in any restaurant; and in fact, our most people would have to make some major changes in their own kitchens. Read Leviticus chapter 11 and you will see that it would be nearly impossible for most Americans to live by these laws.

Another important point to consider is that Christ told us that it is what comes out of a man's mouth that defiles him, not what goes in.

Consider also Paul's instruction to the Corinthians in I Corinthians 10:25-28. If the dietary laws were still applicable, this instruction would have been in error. Also consider verse 23 of this chapter:

Romans chapter 14 gives us further insight into this matter. The entire chapter is instructional, but the last 4 verses sum it up:

There are many churches today that teach people that they are still bound by these laws, but they are in error. Colossians 2:16 warns us about taking heed of such teachings:

1 Timothy Chapter 4 verses 1-5 warn us about this as well:

The laws were given to provide us with a clear contrast to the things of this world and those of God. We cannot depend on ourselves or earthly things for salvation, Christ alone is our path to the Father.
I was going to post a long response to southerngirl - but this sums it up!! Thanks for giving me the extra time to work on the ladies' retreat! LOL

So I agree with DeaconJim.

It is great to see you look at the OT and try to understand why it is unclean. I look at it this way. Can we 100% scientifically prove it is a clean meat? No! Our Creator who never changes who is the beginning and the end may know a little more then us about His creation.

Scientifically speaking I am not impressed with the whole recycling its own poop and the fact that it is close relation to a rodent.

Jewish Kosher laws usually add to the written laws of the OT and complicate things and it can be overwhelming. I try and stay away from them. I simply read the bible and try and use common since to discern what is clean and unclean. It sounds like you are trying to do the same thing. Keep it up:grin:

The Thread That Doesn't End
(sung to the tune of The Song That Doesn't End)

This is the thread that doesn't end,
It just goes on and on my friend!
Some people started asking for
The answers to God's laws
And they'll continue talking 'bout it
Forever just because....

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_47KVJV8DU[/YOUTUBE]

I have a question about this. I'm not Jewish and am no expert on the bible but from what I've been told the New Testement clears up the kosher issue and says all meat is clean. Right?

I was talking to a friend I'd not seen in a couple of years. I may be picky about how I feed my kids but this lady is *really* picky. She told me that rabbit meat was not kosher (knew this) but that if you study the science behind it rabbits don't have the multiple stomaches other animals have to clean the meat well before it's consumed.

It makes some sence since a rabbit is just a rodent but I wasn't sure if it if made enought sence not to eat them. I don't have rabbits because I think they are cute or because they smell nice (OMG they are stinky)-but because I want a variety of easy to raise/process/control what they eat animals. But I don't want to be eating unclean meat. (And no, we don't eat a lot of pork because all I really like is bacon and sausage and I don't need to have it around or I'd eat it everyday.)

Any thoughts on this?
As a Torah observant person, perhaps I can shed some light on this question. First of all 'kosher' is not a Torah term; it is related to kashrut, which is a rabbinical Jewish term and is found nowhere in the text.

Tamei and tahor are the words you are looking for, which have to do with all kinds of things being fit for certain purposes - eating, sex, wearing, sacrificing, etc. They are normally translated as 'clean' and 'unclean'.

A rabbit is not tahor (fit or clean) for consumption by someone who observes the laws of Torah. Nor is it 'fit' to be offered as a sacrifice, were one wanting to do so. A rabbit is tamei in that arena.

Having a rabbit, raising a rabbit, etc., all fine for a Torah keeper. We just don't eat them :) (or lots of other things)

The whole purpose of the Torah was to distinguish between the clean and the unclean.

There is nothing in the Torah about different dishes, or not eating a cheeseburger either. Those are what the rabbi's called 'putting a fence around the Torah', and are additional, man-made rules.

I hope that sheds some light on some of the terms, meanings and how it relates to bre'r rabbit (or would that be Scottish rarebit - has no rabbit in it...lol)

~ST

go on and raise a nice clean rabbit in a nice clean environment .milk your healthy cow raiese your own healthy pig .feed yourself and them off the garden and farm take care feeding them and keeping them shiny healthy .when the time comes for them to feed you put em in the pot' and like me you will be shiny and healthy ,

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.