rabbit mastitis

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by marciallopez, Jun 8, 2006.

1. marciallopez

marciallopez Rabbit Guy in Polk City

ok. How do I cure mastitis in rabbits ? :flame:

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if she really has a bad case that wont clear up on its own, there really isnt a good way to "milk" it off, and actually unless someone knows something i dont, its probably best to cull her, an animal that gets it once can get it again, some can be cured but alot just get worse and worse, they just become a hinderince especially sence they cant take care of their babies.

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Dude you need to find out whats going on in your rabbitry, you lost three does, poof dead, and now you have a doe with mastitis? I'm thinking you've got pasteurella running thru your herd, as in rabbits it can cause mastitis and kill them pretty darn quick. Are your rabbits sneezing, have any nasal discharge? Abcesses? How many rabbits do you have, for how long and have you brought in any new ones lately without quarantining them? Pasteurella is serious stuff, if you have it you may be better off culling everyone and starting over again, after disinfecting and discarding any wood or porous materials. There is a culture for pasteurella that your vet can do. If you keep losing rabbits and having major problems like mastitis thats most likely your problem, and you'll have to start all over.

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

From what I've read, rabbits with bad mastitis in that "quarter" (OK, I've been a dairy farmer all my life and think in 'cow') will just have that one slough off. Not fun while it's going on, of course.

Jennifer

5. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

If you have a teat get infected and slough off, I've found that the pennicillin teat infusers for dairy cattle work great to get the absess to heal.
    First clean the wound with peroxide and pat it dry with th paper towel, and then use the long narrow nozzle of the infuser to sqeeze pennicillin into all the crevasses. You can repeat a few times as the wound heals.

This works on other abscesses as well. My does I treated this way went on to completely heal with no scarring, and raised other litters with the remaining 5 teats.

Best Wishes
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

6. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

You guys notice that this person never answered the first round of questions we asked them about the symptoms in the other post?

You can also administer a half a cc of pen g into the loose skin on the back of the rabbits neck. You don't have to kill a rabbit that gets that. They will clear up on their own with or without proper medication. I would also cut back on the rabbits feed intake as well.