Rabbit labor

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jessandcody, Jun 5, 2004.

1. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

This morning marks the 31st day since we bred our doe. No babies yet...what should we expect? Will she start acting funny? We put her nest box in with some straw piled up in the middle. She has flattened it and lined the bottom, but I don't see any fur in the box yet. Does this mean she isn't bred? Sorry for the questions, but this is the first time on the farm for rabbit breeding. I just want to be prepared and not scare her too much. Especially since our second doe is due in a few more days. Thanks for all the help.

- Jess

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Some rabbits may take an extra day or so to have the little ones.

3. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been reading the archives, so I'm now full of the "worst-case" scenario information. I'm just very nervous. This is my first experience with any form of livestock that wasn't a dog or cat. Yes, I'm more of an "indoor" girl. But I'm learning and looking forward to increasing the farm 5x in one day. :haha:

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Make sure you keep putting fresh hay in the box. If she seems to be taking the hay out and trying to nest out of the box put in a second box with hay. Some does will not pull fur till after kindle.
    FYI, always good to breed a couple does in one day so if one is a crappy mother you can foster the kits to another doe.