Rabbit killing and butchering

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HeatherDriskill, Jun 12, 2006.

1. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

I am a country girl who has been living in an apartment during college. Hubby (who has never lived in the country) and I are about to move out to ten acres. We are renting it, but it is better than being in town! I am getting excited about starting a garden and getting animals. Now, there is a booming wildlife population. I have never been much of a hunter, but I am thinking that I would like to have a few squirrels and rabbits for dinner. I will be good and only hunt during the season, but I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on butchering these two animals. I just plan on skinning them and probably frying them. I haven't ever done it before, though. Also, if you raise meat rabbits, how do you kill them?

2. independant1

independant1 Active Member

This here is a good website on butchering a rabbit:http://www.rawdogranch.com/rabbit_butchering.htm
    The way I kill my rabbits is I use a 3 lb mini sledge hammer on their skull. It may sound brutual but it is very quick. As far as tips for butchering, the only I can think of is I dunk the rabbit in cold water to keep from getting alot of hair on the meat. Hope this helps you.

3. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

I kill my domestic rabbits with a pellet gun, shot in back of head. I find it works great, and no suffering for the animal. Then, remove head and hang for a few minutes to bleed out. Then skin, gut, and cut up into pieces. Simple and quick.

An awesome recipe for squirrel (and rabbit too),....

1 or 2 squirrels, cut into pieces.
    1-1/2 T butter
    1/8 cup olive oil
    salt, pepper
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1 t fresh rosemary (or 1/2 t dry)
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 T coarsely chopped parsley
    1 cup sliced mushrooms

Saute squirrels in butter and olive oil, on medium until lightly browned. Add wine, chick broth, garlic, rosemary, and salt/pepper. Simmer on low until liquid is reduced quite a bit (at least one hour). Turn heat back to medium and add mushrooms and parsley for 5 minutes. The meat just falls off the bone, and is delicious,.. ENJOY

4. HeatherDriskill

Thanks. I know a lot of people probably just knock their rabbits in the head, but I have a huge fear that I will not kill it and it will go into convulsions and I'll be traumatized forever. I think the pellet gun sounds like a good option for me. I don't even have any rabbits yet. I was just thinking about getting some, but I couldn't figure out the easiest way to kill them. Thanks for the advice.

That recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing that, it is something I wouldn't have gotten from my family! We usually either just fry them or maybe make stew. It's just usually the men in my family who hunt and clean them, so I have some learning to do!

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

when you kill something often times the nerves do twich, it seams if you land the death blow in the head or spine region they twich a little more, but its not the animal suffering its the nervs releasing

6. HeatherDriskill

Okay, Ksal. I'm okay with that, it's just what if I do it wrong and it doesn't die? We were butchering chickens the other day and we tried to do one a different way (sever only the jugular vein so that it bleeds out really fast) and it didn't die. It was hanging upside down there just blinking it's eyes. I am just a wienie, I guess. I will have to get tougher.

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

simply cutting the jugular does not kill an animal fast, the animal is still alive as long as the heart is beating and that keeps going as long as there is blood circulateing, it all doesnt run out like quick like it shows on tv sometimes,
    its actually a slow death to bleed out,
    if your going to use thecut method jut the head all the way off and its dead,
    do it quick with a hatchet/machette/cleaver/ or simplly step and rip like my grand dad did,

8. HeatherDriskill

I don't think I described that right. I can' t remember what it was. We had a diagram. Lol, I always have a diagram. I didn't see it on t.v., but read it in a book. We just chopped the heads off all the rest of the chickens since that way wasn't too good.