Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought three rabbits as pets for my kids and have no idea what they are. I was hoping somone could tell me! I only have a pic of the two males- they are huge and sweet, there is also a black fuzzy lop eared female that I will have to take a pic of tomorrow...

[/IMG]

I had no idea I would like rabbits so much! They are a lot of fun and they chase the chihuaua around the yard! :hobbyhors

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have no idea how old they are, she did not seem to know. I have not weighed them but they are pretty heavy- probably 7 to 8 pounds each. I will have to get the scale out tomorrow and check for sure. Here is another of the reddish one....maybe you can get a better idea since he is beside an ice cream bucket! Thanks!

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
i still say NewZealands red and white are they both bucks? have they been fixed and do they get along?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are both bucks, not fixed (at least not that I know of) and get along good so far. They hang out next to each other and run in the yard. It's the female that I don't have a pic of that doesn't always get along- she is nervous and nippy sometimes.

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
The two males do look like New Zealands to me too...the red one could be a Palomino or something, I suppose, but I'm thinking NZ is much more likely since the breed is so popular.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of the female....

[/IMG]

I know it isn't very good but she will not be still! And it is a camera/phone!

The lady I got the rabbits from said the female had been in with one of the males.....my next question is -is the larger size of the male going to make a difference? Is there a chance of any complications with birth because of the size difference?
I know they are not too drastically different but she is quite a bit smaller and it worries me because I don't think they were eating very well- they are all skinny. I don't think they had ever had any green food because they had no idea what a carrot was.
Can anyone tell what she is?

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
some sort of Lop mix i would think, how much smaller than the buck is she and has she had a litter before? i have seen where small does have been able to have successful litters by large bucks so unless she is older and never had a litter before i wouldnt worry too much but still like any breeding be careful and watch her, do you have any idea when to expect the possible litter?

get her into good condion between now and then and you should be fine, just dont get her too fat, that can be bad as well

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will weigh them tomorrow and see how much of a difference there is. I don't know when the lady put them together. Is there any way to tell if she is going to have babies?

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
judging from her dewlap in the picture i would say she is mature rabbit and i just hope she has had litters before,

do you have her in a cage? i would give her a nest box and see what she does with it, fill it up with hay and see,

if she uses it as a bathroom its probably too soon,

have you noticed any digging/nesting behavior from her?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She is in a hutch that has half wire floor and half solid. When I give her hay in there she just pushes it around and it ends up outside! We let them out every night in the yard and I have not seen her dig or anything.
Somewhere in this house I know there is a rabbit book- now if I can just FIND it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts