Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home after a camping trip last weekend to find new pups had ripped holes into rabbit hutch. Found them chewing on my angora doe in back. Huge bald patch on rump and lots of puncture wounds and stratches which seem to be healing fine however a couple sections just above tail had removed or ripped skin and one spot is swollen and the skin is quite dark.. she is on tetracycline and i have been cleaning the wounds daily.her appetite has slowly returned and she is drinking water but i am worried about the dark swollen spot.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Is the swollen spot soft and squishy like? There may be puss in there from one of the punctures that healed over trapping stuff inside. The tetracycline will probably heal it over time, but you may have to drain it if she'll let you handle her to do so. If you can get it open, you may be able to pour some hydrogen peroxide on it to bubble the badness out. Hope she gets well!

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you can use a warm cloth on the wounds so they are nice and soft/open, I would spray them with vetricyn and keep treating a few times a day until it's healed. That stuff has been like magic for us. Equite Elite makes a great product that has worked just as well, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news is she has pulled through. A few days back she had reopened th worst spot and I was able to sprinkle some tetracycline straight into into the wound and it looks a lot better now. Her hutch has been reinforced and we were able to get her outside this week before the weather turns bad for winter. Since she is still regrowing her fur I have been keeping a gallon of hot water in her nesting box to add some heat for her during the night. She is very skittish since returning outside to her hutch and is so far unwilling to leave her nesting box to eat or drink. She was eating and drinking fine before I returned her outside. Hoping she moves past this soon.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It might help to give her a solid floor for a while... a pain in the rear for you, but comfort and safety for her. Maybe try a thin layer of wood on the bottom and use shavings. With a litter box in her pee corner?

I'm glad to hear she's doing better!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you greenmama. Her nesting box is a 1'x3' wood box with an opening to the rest of her hutch. It is filled with Timothy grass hay and I stick a gallon water jug filled with hot water in one of the corners. So she has solid floor with nesting material to promote warmth. And keep out wind or precipitation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts