Rabbit Help Needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gayle in KY, May 2, 2004.

1. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

One of our neighbors was supposed to give us some guineas last night, because his wife didn't like being woke up by them. When my DH got there, he'd changed his mind (his wife told him that, since he liked the guineas so much, she would try to get used to them). He is going to have to have surgery on his foot and is having trouble getting around, so he decided to get out of rabbits instead. I am now the proud owner of 4 of the biggest rabbits I've ever seen (don't know what kind, but they are some kind of Lop). He gave us one buck and 3 bred does (due around the 18th of May)

I was prepared to care for guineas, since I already have some, but was not expecting rabbits. I've had rabbits before, so I have cages and water bottles, but nothing to feed them. The feed store is not open on Sundays and WalMart is an hour away. Is there anything I can feed them until tomorrow? I have mixed grass hay, but the neighbors say not to feed that to rabbits, that it will kill them. What would you feed them?

2. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Give them some lettuce or cabbage leaves.

3. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

carrots, cabbage, lettuce, timothy hay..............rabbits don't eat too much (at least my nzws don't) so they will probably be ok with a few bites of veggies or timothy hay and water until you can get some feed.......

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Please, please, PLEASE make sure you have some nest boxes available for the does. My stepbrother used to think it was funny to breed the does and not tell us, and the poor things would have the kits on the bottom of the cage. They like crunchy veggies, but I'd skip celery.

5. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Thanks everyone. I'll feed them some cabbage (I have lots!) and carrots. I'll pick them some clover, too. That should hold them until tomorrow. This is one reason I hate surprises!

Jillian~

I have cages with built-in nest boxes. I learned my lesson about not providing them a long time ago. It's just pitiful to see those babies scattered about the cage, while mama tramples all over them! I've never had any luck trying to get a doe to take care of her babies after I've made a nest for them and put them in it.

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Gayle, hop on over to the Rabbit forum :p and learn how to care for them properly. I bet they are beautiful.! They will also be able to tell you what breed they are over there. I'll watch for your post. I'm curious about this too and wonder about their color and what not.

LQ :)

7. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Grass hay is fine for them.