Rabbit Fur

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by DAVEOO8, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DAVEOO8

DAVEOO8 Member

We have 2 rabbits, have had them for YR, they r males. One of them is losing his fur or sheding, on his back & ive never seen them do that before. My ? is do they shed or is it somthing that shouldnt be happing DAVE IN WV.......

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

If they are both males and in the same cage???? they could be (probably are) fighting; and it looks like we know who's winning!?

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Well... rabbits don't "shed".... but they sure do "molt," and this can be pretty dramatic, too, and often resulting in what appears to be a "Mohawk" hairdo on a rabbits back. The new hair is pushing the old hair out, so the old hair will be quite loose and can be easily pulled. A molt will normally last about two weeks. Rabbits will usually molt once or twice a year.

If this is not the case and you see bare, pink skin, then the cause is something else. There will be no bare skin visible with a molt.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

4. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

I was just getting ready to ask the same question Dave. Thanks for your reply Pat. The analogy I was going to use was like a chicken molting. My black broken rex is really funny looking right now. The black fur is coming out much more quickly than the white fur for some reason so he has the black patches of very short fur and then long fuzzy shedding white. He is also having some of his droppings linked together with hair (strings of pearls?) so I am trying to brush him and get the loose fur out each day as much as possible. Am also trying to insure that he get plenty of fiber. Anything else I should be doing to prevent hairballs? Thanks.