rabbit feeding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I have read that you should give rabbits forage such as timothy hay, alfalfa or grass. How often and how much should it be given to them?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Mine get timothy, and they always have access to it. Their pellets I measure, but hay is always available.

Meg

3. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

how do you know how much food should be given daily?

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I give mine about a handful a day (I need to get a hay feeder, so hand feed them daily for now). Watch them, if they eat all of it maybe give them more, if they leave a bunch on the floor give them less. I try to feed the breeders a good hay, they do love oat straw once-in-awhile and some alfalfa and I feed the friers alfalfa/grass in a larger amount. They all dance around the cages when I come with their hay. :p

We have our own hay/alfalfa field and laugh when I see the little bag of hay in Wal-mart for $$ If you can buy some from an area farmer--60# bale for about the same or cheaper than the little bag in the store.

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Should say on the bag. As far as hay goes, I would not recommend alfalfa, but free choice grass/timothy is fine. If you feed them pellets you usually don't want to give them alfalfa, because this is too rich for them. It can give them diahreaah. <sp>

6. BunBun243

BunBun243 Member

About twice a day. In the morning and at night. :dance: