Rabbit feeding question for me this time lol

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by FarmboyBill, Jan 13, 2007.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always used an empty tuna or cat food can to feed the rabbits. Its about 3in round with 1in sides. I am beginning to think that is a bit to much. What dio you think. And if it is too much, what type of can would u suggust me using to get the right measurment for 2/3oz feed? This is for NZWs Thanks, and thanks for answering my DDILs questions, Shes always felt a bit hesitant and uneasy around me, but now she seems to like to talk rabbits and stuff. Makes me feel great, Shes a wonder. Keeps my faith in that theres yet still good women to be found LOL But thats for another area LOL

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I can't think of anyone who *wouldn't* appreciate hearing from their inlaws how much they appreciate her as a DDIL. :) You should tell her what you told us. :D

Erm, anyway... :eek:

If you have access to a scale that weighs that small, you could *weigh* out some feed to see what the right amount is. Methinks that if your rabbits are in good condition, not fat or skinny, then you're probably getting the right amount though. :shrug:

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

I'm going to start raising some rabbits soon. I'll try your "tuna can" feeder. seems ok to me along with some grass hay. But, I don't know a thing about it.

4. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

One of my neighbors used to raise NZ's and CA's commercially. She always used a tuna can to measure their feed, so you're probably right on with that method.

5. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

I don't raise them now but when I did , I gave the NZs 6 oz of feed a day. Nothing beats a scale. Measuring by cans is tricky. Even with a measuring cup, 6 oz is not always 6ozs. If you have a scale weigh your feed to see how much you are actually feeding them. Good luck with your bunnies