rabbit ears

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Jan 18, 2007.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

when i move into the new house (which is shaping up to be a long drawn out process :rolleyes: ) i'm NOT taking the satellite service with me. I need to get what used to be known as rabbit ears for television reception.

are they still available? are they called something different? and most of all, do you have any recommendations?

TIA!!

2. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Try radio shack, they have all types of antennas. They can probably tell you what type you will need in the area you are moving to.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Marvela. I live smack dad in the center of the north half of Indiana. Never had cable or a dish or anything other than an antenna. Indianapolis has 3 VHF stations and every other town over 50,000 have FM stations. You can get an FM antennea and fasten it to a long piece of pipe then fasten the pipe to the end of your house. You will pick up way more than you ever can with rabbit ears on top the set. You have to turn the antenna to face the station. Put a booster on it and here we get over 20 stations. Where are you located. Makes a difference. UNK

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

We have an antenna about 100' above the house (200' of wire). We get one (1) station. We used to get 2 but, we need to arrange an antenna adjusting date. It works for us though. WIth rabbit ears, we get ziltch.
    p.s. there ain't nothing on tv anyway.

5. marvella

i should be able to pick up most up most local networks out here. at least we used to be able to before everyone went to cable. what i'm going to miss at first is hbo, but i'll get used to it. maybe a netflix memebership at 17.99/ month out of the savings of $71 NOt having satellite service. it's outrageously expensive for what it is.

thanks all!!

6. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

DISH runs a package as low as 19.99...not much to it, though...

7. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

You can still buy rabbit ears in most stores that sell electronics. Get amplied ones. They aren't great. We just upgraded to sattelite. The installer will be here Saturday. It'll be nice to not have to stand funny or yell at the dog to move to a different spot in the living room anymore just to get legible reception. :)

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yeah sure... I give you a month before you call for dish installation. Or at most, 'till HBO starts running some knock your socks off series like Deadwood or something.

Check out what a basic package plus HBO would set you back. Mine runs about 48 including the DVR for more than I can possibly watch.

Besides, I hear in a couple years you won't be able to pick up channels over the air unless you have a digital box or spendy TV.

9. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Wal Mart sells rabbitt ears. In fact they sell sev. differant kinds of indoor antennas. We use a great big ole monster of an antenna we bought at Radio Shack. Not cheap but our best alternative to a dish which we can't afford. We get fair reception of all the stations in both Oklahoma City and Tulsa, depending on weather conditions at the time. Not much of TV fans any how and time for entertainment is limited.

10. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

Hooked the cable from the tv to an oak tree. Works great. I get eleven different stations and they are all different??? Before this we used rabbitt ears made by Phillips. Got em at best buy electronics store. Do try to get an amplifier and that you will not regret. We also do not spend much time in front of the boob tube to watch the major networks as the programing is pretty shody. I live on a ridge and it helps with the reception. With just the ears I recieve Joplin 11, Tulsa 8, Ft Smith 5 & 40, AETN 13, OETA 3, MYTV 32, Trinity 16, NWA 24,A spanish station and another weak signal out of Tulsa that is pretty snowy. The tree works much better. Hope this helps

11. marvella

if i can get abc and pbs i'll be happy. that's all we got for years until we moved way, way out in the boonies and couldn't get anyting at all. kids home in the summer all day... got one of the first dtv in the area after 1 1/2 years with no tv.

i gotta say tho, the kids learned to bait a hook, go out to the creek behind the house and catch trout, clean them and fry them up with some potatoes for lunch. can't say they would have done that if they had tv instead. :)

12. GREG VT

GREG VT Well-Known Member

The best "antenna" I have ever had other then a real roof top with a rotor was a 15' length of twin lead antenna wire fastened to the ends of a piece of 3/8" flexible copper pipe formed to a circle. A coat hanger works also if you don't have the copper pipe. Speaker wire has been used instead of the twin lead also but the solid core copper twin lead does work better.

The long wire allows you to move the antenna around a bit to maximize your reception.

We just got the sat dish hooked back up after three years of living wthout it.

13. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

will be going back to satellite here in a month or so. only because half the nascar season will be on espn. i personally could care less if we ever have tv again, but in redneck territory, the nascar god speaks louder than i do......lol

14. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

A cheap outdoor antenna will work better that the most expensive indoor one.

Many of the expensive indoor antennas don't work as good as a simple "rabbit ears" on channels 2-13. The last ones I purchased came from a dollar store. Size does matter and to receive channel 2 or 3, the rabbit ears should be fully extended or about 6' from tip to tip.

For channels 14 and up, look for something like a Zenith ZHDTV-1, which is a very simple set top design. You can find these at some of the web stores for around $30. Terk sells a similar model.

Analog TV broadcasting shut off date is Feb 17, 2009, but some of you may have analog reception after that date. If you watch a translator or repeater they might continue after the shut down date.

15. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I bought a digital ready TV at Walmart this past Christmas for $169.

Not big screen, just a regular 27" CRT with built in digital receiver....here's the problem...it's like the little girl with the curl: when reception is good, it's very good, almost like watching the satellite. When the reception is marginal, it doesn't give as good a picture as analog, for some reason...

16. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never had a real antennae. When I moved back to MN I could get 5 clear channels with rabbit ears. Now it's gone down to 3 reliably and sometimes the others but I think the cell towers that have sprouted up like weeds are somehow interferring with the signals.

17. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have premium dish, every channel you can imagine, and my kids know how to bait a hook, fish, hunt, raise champion 4H animals, play several sports, have lots of friends, camp out in the back forty, swim in the creek, build forts... all the usual stuff. One doesn't necessary count the other out. Considering the amount of good programming on history, A and E, and discovery channels we use for homeschooling, I wouldn't give one up for the other, I use the parental controls that come with the system and block the ignorant useless channels. I especially love the sat radio channels as we can not receive FM out here.