Rabbit dog for hire.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 26, 2004.

1. Yesterday at christmas dinner was having a conversation with my BIL about beagles and rabbit hunting. He has several beagles that he likes to hunt and occasionally has extra pups which he sells to other hunters. He quoted to me that he has several repeat buyers who come to him every fall looking for a good or started dog to purchase. He said he is getting to where he doesn't like selling to them cause he knows that when hunting season is over with all they are going to do is get rid of the dog. They don't want the expense of the upkeep during the off season so they sell them at the end of the rabbit season.

At that time a Ideal came to me, Why don't you lease or rent the dogs out? A hunter comes up and wants to use a dog for a day or two and he pays so much a day for the dog(s) and a deposit in case he doesn't return the dog(s). The deposit would cover the replacement of the dog(s) in case of loss, accident, etc.

Now I know that all dogs don't handle well with other people but that would be part of the culling process when you are deciding which dog to rent or just sell off.

So what your input on this ideal?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'd mostly be concerned about what treatment the rented dogs would have at the hands of the renters. A person who cares only for the hunt and doesn't want to feed the animal thru the winter prob won't treat the dog very well.

3. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

Thats not totally true sure you could have some bad hunters that dont care about the animal. But mostly I think that they would much rather care for the animal because an animal well cared for can hunt better. Just my opinion because I see alot of huters do keep their dogs throughout the year and take vary good care of them so thats way I say this. because I only have this one situation to base my opinion on. But as far as renting dogs I dont know how well that would go over. There is a lot more to it then you think first is it even leagle in your city county or state and you would need insurance because if a dog bit someone it is leagally yours not the hunters and you would also have to make sure that the dog doesnt fall into the wrong hands as mention above.
    Another thought might be to sell them for fair price and make them sign a contract that they will not resale the dog with out letting you have first option to buy it back less deperciated value so if someone bought a dog from you for lets say $ 500 in November and wanted to resale it in December well how much would you have charged the hunter for that rental and figure it out from there

I work with pets and I know alot of breeders do that so they make sure that the dog doesnt go into the wrong hands.
    But just a thought
    Frontier_oaks

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Not to jump off the subject we love beagles and we adopted one who is a worthless hunter, and she is, the man was gonna shoot her. Her job now is intimedating possums and coons away from the chicken coop. And being petted of course.

5. Well I've given the insurance liability a thought on this also. Would have to talk to a lawyer about this and find out if insurance would go for it. I would think a lawyer could write up some kind of a agreement forum that would release the dog owner from any liability if the renter signs a agreement form. Also would be part of the dog owners responsibility to lease out only dogs that he knows will handle well with other hunters.

Sherri, I once adopted a female beagle that was abused by the owner also. She was kept in a small portable pen, had hardly ever been out for exercise, poorly fed, and extremely shy. She wouldn't bite, but she would shake with fear when you tried to pet her. The owner just gave her to me. I immediatly started her on a healthy diet and lots of petting so she wouldn't be so scared of me. I started taking her on daily walks and eventually let her run free around the yard. Eventually I started taking her hunting with the other beagles I owned at that time and she ended up being one of the best rabbit chasers I had ever owned. I kept her for almost 3 years until someone stold her. In approximately 2 months time I lost all of my beagle to theft. I have not been in the rabbit hunting business since. That was almost 14 years ago.