Rabbit color?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Alec, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Alec

Alec New Member

I'm trying to figure out what colors all of my New Zealands are, and I think I've figured out all of them except the black/agouti/silver tippedI don't even know ones. It's really confusing me so I just wrote all of them down as black and broken black for now

IMG_5660.JPG IMG_5658.JPG IMG_5656.JPG IMG_5654.JPG IMG_5650.JPG IMG_5652.JPG IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5623.JPG IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5621.JPG

2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

looks like you have like most folks, rabbits that have crossbreeds in their history! hehe looks like maybe some Rhinelander? German type great rabbits. I had some several times over the years. Some are a longer leaner body type than New Zealand. others are crossed enough to just have color and not body type? I have had New Zealand white, black, red, and blue. I'm pretty sure I've never had anything very purebred? not more than 5 or so generations of same breeding? and you can still get a different color in later generations quite surprisingly? at times? hehe Looks like plenty of guard hairs so no Rex on these? still beautiful!! might even get a Lop eared bunny from two non lop parents? with mystery heritage involved! hahah alwayse exciting! best wishes ray

3. Alec

Alec New Member

Haha thanks, I have no doubt they're at least a little crossbred, they were just sold to me as New Zealand's. Neat stuff!

4. VBF

VBF Member

The black one with the silver tipping is considered a silver tipped steel. If they are gold tipped they are gold tipped steel. Most people don't like those colors in their lines and/or consider it a fault. I don't believe those colors are showable in any breed, but I could be wrong.

secuono likes this.
  5. Alec

Alec New Member

Ooh ok, yeah these aren't show quality, I'm trying to create a line that can be fed off of minimal pellets, mostly hay and fresh greens, and with a body shape and size nearly identical to wild European rabbit.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

They're all steels except that last broken may be a simple black broken and there is a solid black (pic 6) with hutch burn or that is moulting. Wasn't really a good picture. The very first one may also be solid black with fur staining/browning/moulty hair but if it's banded it's probably a steel.

Steel is COMMON even in purebreds because many NZW are genetically steel or agouti 'under' the REW. They're also often red based as red is common in NZ as that was the first official color of NZ. If you cross reds and whites into the blacks or blues, you will see steels and agoutis.

Steel is a weird gene as it may be polygenic or vary in its expression. I've had it in my NZ lines in the past and sometimes it just didn't follow the rules.

secuono likes this.