Rabbit colony

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Oregon1986, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Anyone have themselves a rabbit colony,where they are all together? I am wanting to start breeding rabbits to sale and for food. I currently have 4 rabbits in separate metal cages. I would love to see pictures of people's set ups

2. AchesonAcres

AchesonAcres Well-Known Member

LOL! I just posted an almost *identical* post last week! Great minds, I tell ya..... ;) I didn't post any pics though.

Oregon1986 likes this.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Go up to search-----type in rabbit colony----you will get close 3000 post---A lot of reading!!

4. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Ok I'll look thank you

Fire-Man likes this.
  5. MTplainsman

MTplainsman North of the Hi-Line

Hi there, I will be very brief on this... I've seriously experemented with this system off and on since I first started raising meat rabbits on a "sizable" scale probably 23 or 24 years ago. I'm 39 now, and I believe it was directly out of high school when I went to 100+ does and was working to 200+ does. I was running out of room and labor was so extensive for one man, that I decided to try other methods to get my fryer numbers up. A meat plant up in Swift Current, Sask would send a truck down for pickup of fryers provided I was at least a 200 doe rabbitry. The company has now long been deceased however. So, the "colony" system haunted my dreams for months. Finally tried it on a small scale, then even a bit larger. Long story super short... it sounded like the perfect system, I mean, wow! Why doesn't everybody do this? Why mess with individual cages, labor, records, etc.??? Well, there "is" a reason, in fact multiple reasons why. It doesn't work, simple as I can tell you, it doesn't work! Forget keeping records, forget keeping track of individual animals, forget disease control, just forget it! I had experimented with pasture grazing, burrows, hard floors, cage colonies, you name it, I put in the time before I gave up on this system, believe me... you will however, have no control to your management, inbreeding, fighting, lack of disease resistance, your stock quality will lower itself over time. Parasites and other disorders will show up. I can go on and on... been there done that and "am" done with that!!! Just my advice, take it or leave it. And good luck to you, Joel

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    arnie likes this.