Rabbit Breeds

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by davis03, Feb 3, 2010.

1. davis03

davis03 Well-Known Member

Hello HT friends. I am gonna try and put some pics up of my rabbits. Please help me determine the breeds..All this is new for me. Thanks so very much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

Someone might to be able to wade in on the "fuzzy" one. The others look look like mixed breeds to me. I think the red one might have some rex in him, maybe the Rex breeders will wade in on that.

It would be helpful if you can tell us about how much the adults in the pictures weigh.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010

3. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

I don't know what breeds they are but they are all awfully cute. I'm curious to see what other rabbit folks here say they are.

I'm just guessing becuase I do not know but the fluffy one looks like it may be a lionhead cross with something & I think the red one looks like the Red satins I seen at an animal swap last fall but those are my only GUESSES.

4. davis03

Thanks for your reply..The rabbits were given to me and I believe they are about 6 months old except for the "fuzzy" one who is several years old and was given to me by my uncles family when my uncle passed away a month ago.

5. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

Give it a little time. You should get some posts from people more knowledegeable with different breeds.

6. gonepostal

gonepostal Well-Known Member

Brown one looks like rex to me. Possibly mix? I'd love to feel it's fur!

Fuzzy I believe is lionhead or lionhead mix.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

The red has a rex coat - wether it's purebred is hard to say. The fuzzy one looks like a lionhead. The others look like mutts, could be a mix of any breeds. :)

8. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ooh, pretty! I would call the top two rex or rex mixes, the fluffy guy a lionhead or mix, the gray and agouti IDK.

BUT... do you have those bucks separated? If not, I would do so before they kill each other. It stinks to go out and find a friendly, handsome little fellow dead that way.

9. davis03

jen...all of the rabbits are one cage and have been getting along wonderfully for 3-4 months.....I am new at this, so I will be getting someone to help me sex the rabbits..How could you tell the bucks???? No fighting going on yet..The third pic of the brown rabbit was separate because she had kits earlier..She started making a nest and pulling a little fur 5 days ago..but still no babies..Thanks for your comments and help. I certainly appreciate it.

10. davis03

I meant to say the brown rabbit had kits earlier in the winter and they all died. She started making a nest so I assumed she was pregnant again.. Thanks also to everyone else for the wonderful comments..I love this site.

11. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hold bunny on his/her back, gently press down on the area around the genital opening. Well, actually, let me give you a link w/helpful pics

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml

Mine got along fine too, for ages. But, come spring and full maturity, my bucks fought and I lost my favorite. I usually house does together if they get along, but bucks, nope.

12. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

the red one is definitely a rex. I used to have red rexs. the fuzzy one is a lionhead. the black broken one in the first photo is not a rex. the shape of the face is wrong and the ears are too short.
    the grayish/black one might be a satin, but not sure, the color is wrong. otherwise, I would say mixes.

13. LATTE

LATTE Well-Known Member

The white fuzzy one defiantly looks like my lionheads do except for the coloring i love the coloring of it and i agree with the others the red one looks like a rex i have a blk and white one they are so soft

14. stranger

stranger Well-Known Member

look like mutts to me, the yellow one could have Palomino in it, dress them and they all taste great.

15. gonepostal

gonepostal Well-Known Member

That one that looks like a lion head totally reminds me of cookie dough ice cream. Please tell me its name is cookie! hahaha

16. Falls-Acre

Falls-Acre Well-Known Member

First pic looks like a red Mini-rex (not Rex, it's not big enough) and a very oversized Netherland Dwarf (possible mix on that one). Second pic looks like a blue Havana and a Lionhead. Third pic looks like a Heinz 57 (mix).

17. GoslingFever

GoslingFever Goslings say Weh-Wey-Weh!

I LOVE your mini rex!!!!!

Good Reds are so hard to find...

18. GoslingFever

GoslingFever Goslings say Weh-Wey-Weh!

And I agree; the red is a mini rex, I too see that the blue has some very Havana qualities, and in the first picture, I wonder if the broken colored rabbit is a poor lionhead? The face is the same and the color so similar to the bearded guy - could be a sibling.

And yep, the bearded rabbit is a lionhead - here's a good reference of a very similar looking rabbit:
    [​IMG]