Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My family is new to breeding rabbits. We have 5 does. I bred all five does and they all had 3 fall offs but none of them have had any kits! No signs nothing! None are nesting or pulling hair. All they do is poop and pee in the boxes. 3 females are about a year old and the other 2 are about 6 months old. Males are all at least 5-6 months old. Two does were supposed to be due last tuesday and 3 were supposed to be due this past sat. Everyone is a healthy weight and proper diets everyone is seperated from each other and i have correctively sexed each rabbit. I do not understand what is going on if anyone could help it would truly be great !!!

·
Expect the unexpected
2,067 Posts
What breed are the rabbits ?
If they are a big bunny, like Flemish, then 6 months might be too young.
How many males do you have ?
A young doe might not take the first time.
Your does may not have been in heat when bred.
If you used the same male on 2 or 3 does, maybe that spread him too thin for sperm.

·
Premium Member
24,051 Posts
How many days did you count from breeding to expected delivery date?
Did you breed once or twice?
Did you use the same buck for each?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What breed are the rabbits ?
If they are a big bunny, like Flemish, then 6 months might be too young.
How many males do you have ?
A young doe might not take the first time.
Your does may not have been in heat when bred.
If you used the same male on 2 or 3 does, maybe that spread him too thin for sperm.
They are new zealands and havanas. I have 3 bucks. They each had 3 fall offs. No one bred more than one doe each time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many days did you count from breeding to expected delivery date?
Did you breed once or twice?
Did you use the same buck for each?
No not same buck for each. 31-34 days is what i counted. No each buck had a seperate doe.

·
Premium Member
24,051 Posts
Your bucks may be just a bit too young. Best you can do is try them again and rebreed an hour or two later, some wait 12 hours, some 24. You can have fall-offs even if the act is not completed.
Did the does lay still and lift their tails? If they don't lift and give the male access, no real breeding takes place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you. Some lifted automatically some took them a while. I am going to try agian and we will see in roughly 31days

·
Expect the unexpected
2,067 Posts
Okay, 31 days is a average. 28 to 34 days is the window, give or take.
I make sure they have a nest box in place by day 28.

Your bucks sound young. My best guess.

You say you are new. So these are your first tries ?
I have been working with rabbits over 25 years. They still amaze me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does do not have heat cycles. Best way is to check her vulva. If it’s reddish purple or lifts her butt when you touch her back she’s ready to breed. If her vulva is light pink I wouldn’t bother.
I’ve raised rabbits over 35 years and this is the way I can tell who is ready to breed. If the temp is 83 or above, the buck can go temporarily sterile. It’s why most breeders do not breed in the hot summer months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts