Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought out a rabbitry and the guy that I bought them from told me they were Israeli Giants. Has anyone every heard of this breed of rabbit. I have googled and come up with zilch. They are really beautiful rabbits, one doe is tri colored as is the buck and the other doe is broken black. They really look to me as if they are a cross between a checkered giant and a satin. They have the butterfly markings around their noses and markings around their eyes and the tri's are a silkie white with orange & choc. and the broken black has a satin look to her coat. Their weight is over 10 pounds each. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Are you in the US?

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Could be the guy's own breeding. I've seen poultry people do that. They act like this is a well known breed and they are not, just their own version (which may be bred long enough and with enough care to actually create a breed that's new, or just be a couple of crosses and they call it a new breed and they are really nothing more than mutts). But if they are pretty and you like them, maybe you can keep going with them and create that breed yourself.

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I have to agree with Jennifer.

This person made up a name for their rabbit. It could be the makings of a new breed or it could be the result of a cross breed or whatever.

I'm on over 100 rabbit related message groups, some with international members, and this is the first time I've ever heard of Israeli Giant.

The idea of an Israeli Giant rabbit strikes me as somewhat humorous since rabbit meat is not kosher, but is halal (Islam).

Anyway, I'd say you've got the market cornered on Israeli Giants. I don't know anybody else that has them.

Would like to see a picture so we can play "What could have produced this?"

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone could walk me thru the how to's on posting pics I will try to post some soon. These guys are really nice rabbits and will make great meat rabbits.

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
I have never heard of that breed i think he made it up.the new breeds i know of are velveteen lops and lionhead lops.i belong too many other rabbit groups.

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
I wonder if the name is something else, but mangled into "Israeli." For example, we had Dominique chickens, but around here, they are called "Dominickers." Tried looking it up and zilch. We had to find pictures of the breed & figured out that it was a colloquialism. Is there some other "giant" rabbit breed that sort of sounds like "Israeli"?

-Joy

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Maybe you could ask the guy where they came from?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guy that I bought them from, bought them from another guy and he is the one who told him that they were Israeli Giants. That guys has since moved out of state and the guy that I bought them from didn't know how to contact him. I was planning on calling him and finding out more info on them. I'm still in the process of trying to get pictures on here, now my camera is on the blink. Ugh it is always something.lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts