Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my girlfriend and I just recently started raising bunnies and we have had a few litters without any issues so far. Until this last litter anyway. We mistook one of the newborns genders and ended up sticking a Male with 2 females. Mother and sister. Anyway he ended up getting them both pregnant. The litter with the mother turn out fine we had 7 healthy kits. I know this is called linebreeding. However the inbreds between the brother and sister didnt come out healthy at all. We had 3 of them and I have been nursing them from the beginning. Within the first few days 2 ended up passing. The third which was the weakest in the beginning has survived however I am concerned for him as he has a birth defect. Some of his toes on his hind legs were born black and are rotting off. He doesnt seem to be in pain and is healthy. He eats well I just really would not like to lose him. I cant find any sources online about this. I dont have money to visit a vet. However I have made a peroxide solution that is 1 part peroxide and 3 parts water. I know it stings but I have to keep it clean somehow. Please help. I have grown so attached to this darling baby and he literally refuses to sleep unless he is with me.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,117 Posts
Make sure the nest box stays dry , clean and warm from the fur.
Keep as much fur as you can if you replace hay.

Was the next box clean when the babies were born ?

Do you have all the adults in separate cages now ?

What temperature outside where you are ? Your state in not listed .

I would use a antibiotic cream like you would use on yourself.
If looks like healing on it's own, and not red, maybe not needed.
What you are doing now, should work. As long as getting better,
then you are on the right track. Just remember the mother will
groom / lick the baby. Don't try to remove the scab , let it fall off
on it's own. It's protecting that hole where the toenail was.
maybe the toenail will grow back.

What breed of rabbits ?

Will this young mother accept any babies from her mom ?
Are they close in ages ? Maybe a couple of the smaller ones ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are French lop and dwarf mix. They were born indoors and the mother is immature and hasnt taken care of any of her litters. So we have had to intervene. We separated the babies shortly after birth and feed them twice daily off of mother. Have to give mother treats to stay and feed them. The last 2 litters we tried to leave with her and she just doesnt let them feed and they end up dying. He does seem okay, I will just keep a close eye on him. Also he should be okay nestled with the other ones right? They are about 2 weeks older than him

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as nest boxes go. I have them all in boxes with a thick blanket. I've kept the little one in a basket bundled up next to me the last few days

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
A sibling-to-sibling mating could easily result in deformed/defective offspring. Dang rabbits reach sexual maturity EARLY! I'm sorry for your troubles.

Reactions: Lisa in WA

·
Expect the unexpected
2,117 Posts
So your young mother rabbits sounds young.
Let her have some time before you let her get pregnant again.
I would give her another chance.

So was the adult young male , in with her, when she had the babies ?
That will upset a doe. She should be in her own cage.
As long as the single baby can get milk, from her own mom...then it should make it.
If the older doe, would tolerate the babe, then you might be able to sneak
the single one in her litter. But check often and have it's own mom do the
feeding. A bit more work. Once the babe gets eating on it's own, then all
should be well.

I don't think the single baby is deformed. I keep thinking bacteria from the
nest box. Did the single baby's mother chew on the babe, or the other 2 siblings.

You got 2 mother rabbits, currently. One with the older litter by 2 weeks,
and then the daughter mommy rabbit with the single baby left. Correct ?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dispose of the mother. Two failed litters. Gone.
This is actually the correct advice if you are keeping this female rabbit as a breeder. If she is just a pet I would certainly not breed her again. We used to breed rabbits. I gave the moms the benefit of doubt on the 1st litter, 2nd time if they didn't take care of the babies we would not keep her for breeding purposes.

Also, I suspect that the issue with the kits toes is either bacteria or possible frost bite (if it was cold where they were born). I do not think it's a birth defect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Uh what?! Sorry that's messed up. She is our child.
Well, you shouldn't breed her anymore. She's clearly not a good mother. Seems cruel to keep breeding just for them to die more often than not. This is a homesteading forum site. Most of us breed from food purposes, and don't consider our animals (even is they are pets) to be our 'children'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts