Rabbit bedding pellets

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by anniew, Sep 29, 2017.

1. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I was at a fiber festival recently, and saw that one of the vendors used some kind of pellets (equine pellets was on the bag) for the rabbit trays. I asked about them and they said they got them at Tractor Supply. I went to TS today and asked and they have two kinds: one is a wood based pellet and the other is a corn based product (don't know if it is a pellet as the bag was opaque).

Do any of you use pellets, and if so what kind? Are they more effective in keeping odors to a minimum than shavings?
    Also, I will use the tray material in the vegetable garden later. I thought I might use the pellets if someone has had a better experience with them than the shavings, assuming it is also okay to put in the garden.

Please relate your experience using them and which kind you use. Thank you.

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I never tried them. Question---are you keeping the rabbit in your home? Just one cage? For "shows" you would need something but for home I never have used any bedding, I just auto separate the poop from the urine with the cages I have that have a tray under the wire.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I have 16 cages with trays underneath, and 19 rabbits...three cages have 2 rabbits each. They are in an outbuilding. They are all adult New Zealands, so put out a lot of "waste."

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

The corn based product is most likely ground corn cobs. Not very absorbent, does not help reduce odor. Tends to stink when applied to the garden.
    I use the equine pellets. They are fine sawdust pellets that break down into sawdust when they get wet. Pretty good at absorbing odor and moisture. Tends to pack when applied to thickly in the garden but breaks down pretty quickly when laid down in thinner (less than 1") layers.

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are going to raise rabbits---I can show you my older set-up(27 hole)---no "bedding" makes life a lot easier. My new set-up(20 hole) spoiled me---just a few minutes a week other than feeding, but its movable(on a trailer frame) and is moved 2 or 3 times a year.

Raising rabbits can get to you, over whelm you if there is so much time cleaning---having to deal with a stinky mess. Either of my set-ups---you could set-up a table inside the rabbitery and set down and eat your Sunday Dinner----no smell or very little.