rabbit babies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dunroven, Dec 25, 2005.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Question! I have a doe who started having her babies, outside her box today. She lost 2 while we were gone to church and I caught on to the fact just after we got back. I brought her in the house with a box and now she isn't having anymore. That was probably around 3 and it is now 6 p.m. Can she "stop" having her babies? What do I do?

I don't want to lose this litter. She lost her first litter and this time I'm just being really careful. She lost the others to the cold and had them premature, but these are on time, just not in the box. What can I do?

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if they can "stop" delivery or not. Are there any babies that survived? If so you can put those in a nest box and cover them with lots of fur and some clean rags if you can't get enough fur. The doe will feed them only once or twice a day, early morning and evening. Check to see if their bellies are full. If they are full she is feeding them and all you need to do is let her care for them.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I have heard before that rabbits CAN stop having babies if they feel like it, it was mentione on the goat board because someones goat was in labor then suddenly stopped. Good Luck, I will be praying for whatever babies may be left, for the mama, and for you. Good Luck, bye.

4. dunroven

No, the two babies that she already had before we got home were dead. She hasn't had any more yet, but she is as full as a tick. I know she's got probably another 6 to 7 in there. I hope she doesn't stop having them and then abort them. We are needing some babies to come along and survive. This past summer was pretty rough on us as far as getting any pregnancies, and now this is just too much. I figure if she will at least have these, I have 3 more does about to have their babies within the next week, all strung out over this next week, and maybe, just maybe one will go tomorrow, maybe we can foster some babies, even if she won't care for them, which I'm just hoping she will just go ahead and have them and then care for them, and let that be that, but who knows.

Merry Christmas by the way, everyone.

5. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck, I hope they make it. If they can stop, moving her was probably the trigger. Hopefully things will kick back into gear as soon as she settles down. Put her in a quiet room with dim lighting.

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I agree with Danaus on a quiet, dim room. Rabbits can stop delivering as a means of protecting their kits. If she hasn't delivered by morning I'd put her back in her familiar surroundings and check on her from a distance to be sure there aren't kits on the wire. If there are you can put them in the nest the doe made and once again leave them alone until you think she's done delivering. Give her at least 24 hours to feed them before you foster them out, especially if the other does have large litters.

Good luck!

7. dunroven

Well, we have 6 live born this morning and 1 dead. She didn't make any nest whatsoever. I put in cotton balls last night before I went to bed and I think that's all that saved any of them. There are 2 that I'm not real sure about, but 4 that seem to be doing pretty good. I took 3 hand towels and put 2 of them on top of the cotton balls and the third one I put them in and laid on top of the rest. Hope she can get in to feed them and I hope she will. We'll see. Kind of a scarey thing.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

8. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Dunroven ,,, What kind of nesting material do you have in the nestbox ,,, Where do you live ,, how cold is it now ?? how cold will it get at nite ,, are you planning on leaving the nestbox out with her 24/7 or going to take it out to her twice a day ??

I 'see' where you added cotton balls ,, and you said 3 towels ,,

???????? :confused:

I have straw in my nestboxes ,, and I have used dryer lint as a substitute for hair when I haven't had extra hair ,, and I check the nest more when I have to use the lint because I know the lint will get 'wet' and stay wet more than the straw or momas hair would ,,

I personally wouldn't use towels ,, I'd worry that the kits would get trapped somehow in folds of cloth ,, the doe will only hop in the nest 1 - 2 times a day to nurse and if the kits can't get to her to nurse they won't get milk ,, she 'will not' check and make sure they all get to a nipple to nurse like a cat or dog would ,, if each kit don't make it to a nipple - it will die ,,,

if you leave those towels in the nestbox ,, you better check a few times a day ,, if the babies pee and the towel gets damp ,, they'll get damp and die quickly ,,,,

I kept a plastic mesh 25 pd feed sack ,, every time I have a doe that pulls fur I put some in the bag ,, now you know you will need it in the future and since you have does due ,, go ahead and get ready to start saving any extra fur ,, lol I've had some does that pull soo much fur that the little things would smother if I didn't take some away ,,, :D and some does will keep pulling fur for a few days after giving birth ,,,

even in the winter if a doe pulls a lot of fur I will take the extra ,, so when I completely change the nestbox at around day 8 before their eyes open ,, (trying to avoid nestbox eye :( ) ... that way if there is no clean fur in the nestbox I can still throw it all away and have the extra to put back in ,,,

or when a doe makes a nest pulls fur and loses all the babies ,, or something else goes wrong ,, you can save all the clean fur from a nest that didn't get used ,, and my saved fur has pieces of straw in it too lol ..

9. dunroven

Thanks for all the advice Tammy! Great to know. I do still have them on towels but they are inside, here in my office and right where I can see them. I have to use an electric space heater here in my office. The kits are in a cardboad box on a towel and the towel is open and they are just as snuggly warm as can be. This silly doe started having these babies last night and she pulled just about half a handful of hair and put it in her water! Then she went around to the side of the nest box and had 2 babies, while we were gone and they died, of course, on the wire, and one fell through, but then we brought her in. These little guys are stuffed, so I know she fed them before I brought them in and put them in this box. I will carry them out tonight when I go out to water everyone for the evening and put them in while I do the watering and leave them there about an hour or so and then go bring them back in. I am going to dothis for a few days so I am sure they will survive and then eventually I will leave them out there, but I am really being cautious with this batch of babies. As far as how cold does it get here? Well, first part of december we were at -10 with a windchill of -28, so it gets fairly cold you might say! LOL It is in the 30s now, which we are considering pretty warm!

Again, thanks for the advice!

10. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Dunroven ,,,

What kind of nestbox are you useing ?? what kind of nesting material are you providing in the nests ?? what are you planning on useing for the other does ,,,

are you leaving the empty nestbox in her cage ?? and just bringing in the babies ??

Have you tried reviving dead frozen babies yet ?? I always thought the 'dead' frozen babies I found on the wire were 'dead' untill the first time I brought in a litter of 8 stiff frozen babies ,, I found them lying scattered on the wire at 5 am after my last check at 11pm so I thought they might be revievable like everyones says to try reviving ,,

(and the damn doe had been laying up inside the box for days before she had her litter ,, and thats were she was sitting when I found the 'dead' babies) ,,

I brought them inside ,, put between 2 heating pads and 7 came back alive ,, I always try to heat up and revive any found DOA now ,,,

the 7 lived 3 days ,, it got warm enough to leave the nestbox out overnite instead of bring in and out like I had been doing ,, I went out the next morning and found 5 squished !! :grump: and she was sitting on them when I went out there :nono:

I fostered the other 2 and bbq the doe :viking: was her third and last try for me :grump:

11. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that the babies are doing good! I will pray for them, for the mama, and for you. Good Luck, bye.

12. dunroven

I have six fat little pigs tonight! LOL These baby rabbits are so cute! I am leaving the next box in the cage, but bringing the babies back and forth in a cardboard box with a towel in it. They are so lively when they are ready to eat and so sluggish when they have been fed. It is just so neat!

No, I have not tried heating up the babies, but I have tried dipping a couple in warm water, all but their heads, and it just didn't work. I will trythe other way next time. Hopefully though,there won't be this kind of thing happening again. I am going to see what this doe does with another litter and if she does the same thing, she's off to freezer camp, although she is doing good about feeding them.

They are beautiful! I love these babies!

13. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Dunroven ,, Is the nestbox moveable :confused: ,,

everyone 'I' know of ,, that brings the babies inside ,, and takes out to the doe twice a day moves the nest .. not the babies ....... I will set nestboxes in the bathtub or utility room = a cool room ,, IMO the kits get too hot in a warm room ..

for some reason ,, something is telling 'me' ,, that she shouldn't be 'finding' the nest empty if she checks it during the day ,,

even if she is feeding them when you are taking them out twice a day ,,

Why I'm worried thinking you should be moving the nest and not just the babies ,,, I don't know ,,,

How are they doing and have any of your other does had kits yet ??

14. dunroven

They are doing just wonderful. I just brought them back in. She is a very tame doe. She doesn't mind me picking them up. Its just an empty box that she is getting in and out of anyway. The babies would freeze if I left them in there and even brought the nest box in and out. She had no fur in it and they are warm and fine in this box. She accepts them readily and is ready for them to go when I get them and bring them in. I don't think there will be a problem here, but I'll keep you posted. No the others haven't had their babies yet. I think 1 might be a miss, 1 is a new mom and new dad, and the last one isn't due until day after tomorrow, so we'll see, but these little guys are doing just fine.

15. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

16. dunroven

You aren't sounding bossy at all! I like good information. I have in fact been putting straw in the nest box and putting the babies in and a little alfalfa, which is what we have been able to get around here. The straw that we have here is a little old and we have been in a pinch where we couldn't afford to go and get some more. (Long story). Anyway, mama eats all that I put in there, so I put more in each time I go out with the babies, and they are growing so much! I think in a week they will be able to be out there with her and be safe, and I will put them back in to stay, but right now, while they are so tiny, I just take them back and forth in the cardboard box. They are really doing well. I hope to get a picture posted on my photobucket site this weekend, we'll see how time goes. Hubby has a wedding to perform and of course church and communion on Sunday, communion goes on at church and 2 nursing homes so it makes for kind of a long day. We do chores early, early on Sunday morning and then when we get back from church, so they will be fed a little earlier on Sunday morning.

Anyway, the lint idea is good and I am saving that up, although with just the 2 of us, there isn't that much lint, but I will have enough to add to her nest box when I take them out to stay.

Again, you're not bossy! I appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks again!