Rabbbitry Names

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryDreams, Jul 12, 2006.

1. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I'm needing to come up with a name for my rabbitry and for the pedigrees for my angora bunnies.
    Do you all have names for your rabbitry and how did you come up with those names?

We also have a dog kennel that really doesn't have a name so I'm wondering if I use a generic type name if I can use it for both of them. Or should I keep separate names?

I'd appreciate any and all opinions here.

2. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

If you do business out of the dog kennel, Maybe a seperate name?

But My rabbitry name is the Blue Pirate. It started out as a character I knew in my math notebook on the -you guessed it- blue part of the cover. And he's escalted into almost everythin i do, lol!

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Sure, think up a farm name. My dad's idea was Bogcity. Richmond, BC is pretty much a bog, and it's a city, hence "Bogcity". So we could have "Bogcity Poultry", "Bogcity Stables", "Bogcity Kennel" and "Bogcity Bunnies."

Then for the pedigrees, "Bogcity's Roxy" and "Bogcity's Cooper." Or I could abbreviate it "BCB's Roxy."

Of course, I don't breed rabbits and I don't have a farm, so Bogcity doesn't exist.

Is there a feature about your place that you like? Things like Sunnybrook, Twin Oaks, Whispering Pines, something like that. Or, it could be a word that means something to you.

Check out this link, see what other people have done:
    http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=922&whichpage=2

Also, search this board for "Naming your farm"

4. twohunnyz

twohunnyz Pacific Northwest

Okay, here goes... our little backyard operation is Two Hunnyz Rabbitry. First, the "two" of us call each other honey, spelled it "hunny" like Winnie the Pooh does, then added the "z" for fun. When we came up with this we were thinking up a personalized license plate and then started using it as our email addy, so it seemed the logical choice for our rabbitry, too. It is fun to think up names! We have a Breeder Directory on our website and some of the names are based on the first initials of the couple or their family name, even the street they live on. I don't know that keeping seperate names for your kennel and rabbits would really matter, except for your personal preference. Have fun! :)
    Krystal

5. CountryDreams

I thank each of you for your responses. I've checked out maryjanesfarm and I have checked out your website Krystal, it is a very nice and informative website.

I keep tossing the same two names around in my head. We've always sort of named our homestead Bumblebee Acres so I've been considering Bumblebee Acres Bunnies as the rabbitry name.
    The other one is more comical (I think). It is: Wilson's Wascally Wabbits

Both are rather long but I don't know that that's a bad thing. What do you all think?

So we'd be looking at pedigree names like BAB's Fancy or WWW's Fancy or 3W's Fancy.

Should I keep thinking? :shrug:

6. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

I like Bumblebee Acres. :)

Its just me, but the sillier names sound more like a youth's rabbitry, and might not get you the same "respect" -or what was that word everyone was using for a while - "gravitas". :rolleyes:

Our farm name is Somerhill. We called it that when we lived at Somerset on a hill. When we moved, we talked it over, and decided that Somerhill had enough name recognition, we should keep it. So we have Somerhill Bluefaced Leicesters, Somerhill Angoras, Somerhill Farm. If you sell things, a farm name is just like a brand name, people get to know it and (hopefully) trust it.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

7. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

Double R Rabbitry................Rescued and Recycled

Our first four rabbits were adopted from a family member who got tired of them and was bringing them to auction, our hutches are made form wood and wire that we cleaned up out of the yard when we moved out to our current home, we rescued the rabbits and recycled the materials

8. CountryDreams

Thanks Lisa, I think you are right about the sillier names. I want to build my rabbitry and my dog kennel up to be something that is respected. I do believe we are going to go with the Bumblebee Acres name. I can adapt that name for the kennel, the goats or anything else we raise and sell in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input, it really means a lot to me.