RA help

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by sue currin, Jan 17, 2007.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I have a dear friend that has RA Arthritis. She is taking the low grade chemo and doing some diets A guy at the health food store told her about, What I want to know is, Do any of you have RA and if so what helps and hurts this debilating thing? Where can we look for resorces like books, web sights, ect? She just turned 50 and has had it for 3 years, her hands are a mess and the arm is shorenting, also her ankles are now in bad shape, She walks every day and keeps moving so she can keep moving. She is very open to anything. Alfalfa worked great until she became allegic to it. Please over look my spelling, I try. Thank you all for your help. Sue

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I don't have RA but do you know what meds she has taken already that haven't worked for her?

It's good that she keeps moving. Also, it's important that she keeps her spirits up and has a reason to get up in the morning. Mindset is so important.

/VM

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've got RA, but not as bad as her. No suggestions from me, but I thought I'd bump it back up to the top.

Meg

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I have severe RA myself. For a year I was on Enbrel and Methotrexate and after a years time I had a severe reaction to Methotrexate. But Enbrel helped a lot.
    Now I am on Humira, I can give the shots too myself and well I think Enbrel did a netter job at controlling the pain, Humira is not a bad drug either to take. OTHER THEN BOTH Enbrel and Humira are very very Expensive if not covered by insurance or a drug plan under SS Dis~!. like 1500 a month IF not covered by some kind of insurance plan.
    I have a Drug Program along with Medicare so I am paying 50 dollars a month for each time I need a refill.
    But right now I am on a Free Drug program from Humira because at the time I did not have Schedule D Drug coverage of which I still do not but if I did that 50 a month would be the cost.
    A health club that has a heated pool is very good for the joints and you can move around in the water and get exercise without putting strain on the joints.
    And I have it quite badly in Both Ankles, Both Knees, and both wrists, So swimming in a Heated pool really helps keeps the joints moving without putting a lot of wt. and stress on them. Also BOTH web sites For Enbrel and Humira are GREAT places to go and get more info at~!!

5. connie in nm

connie in nm Well-Known Member

I have tested positive for RA several times....all they know is it is some kind of inflammatory arthritis. Overall, it is mild, but it will ocaasionally flare in one joint if I overuse it.

I declined meds, wanting to "save" them for when/if it became severe.

I do take tumeric capsules because it is anti-inflammatory without the side effects of NSAIDS. But, mine is mild. I am stiff in the mornings and lately having trouble with my ankles and have swelling.

For me, what made the difference was eating a very good diet and getting proper rest. If I push myself too much, it gets bad. I think this has kept it in check so far.

It runs in my family, so I know how painful it can be. I think if you're immune system gets run down, it tends to flare up. Do NOT take anything like echinacea that stimulates the immune system. This is an auto-immune disease and your immune system is already on overdrive!

6. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Encourage her to keep moving! I know its hard. My daughter was 16 when she was diagnoised. Its hard when your daughter asks you "Mom, am I always going to hurt?" She even stopped showing her horse, some days she had no strength in her hands to hold the reins. She worried she might hurt someone if she lost control of her horse (even as well trained as the horse was), the best thing I can suggest is keep in contact with the doctors. Sometimes it take a lot of adjusting medications to find the right combination for you. My daughter is now a teacher with a 2 1/2 year old son. She is doing well and is at the moment off all medications (sometimes you will see remisions, with pregnancy, sometimes after pregnancy symptoms will return with a vengence) She still has days she hurts and is slow moving in the am. She also does not allow her self to get to cold. She has found she must get her rest, (sometimes hard because if she sleeps too long, she gets to stiff) She will do some chores and then take a break for 30 minutes or so then do some more so she does have to modify her activities some, but for the most part is doing well. Tell your friend to not give up hope, work with her doctor to find the right combination of medications, read as much as you can about the disease (so many variables, for each person) but be warned there is alot of "quackery ideas" out there. Be careful and Good Luck. I know this rambled but want you to know RA might not go away but it can be managed!

7. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

There's some excellent information about antibiotic treatments for RA @ the Roadback Org. I was diagnosed with RA sometime ago and tried this treatment, then after some time - they decided I didn't have it - and replaced my hip. Now, they've decided I do have it, however mild.

http://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/145.html

is a link to some info there and they also have a message board for info too. I researched many treatments back then and couldn't walk at all - I can really relate to how your friend must feel. If they do decide i have it when I get in to the rhuematologist (not til April!) I will try this treatment again.

8. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think anyone has mentioned MSM. The actor Charles Coburn was very crippled with arthritis and started MSM and was amazed and tried to spread the word. From what I read it is about as harmful as water so keep taking increased amounts until you get relief. I have some back problems and have gotten relief from the MSM. Rita

9. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I am taking MSM but can't see much of a difference if any at all. So many variables here. What MIGHT work for somebody is completely USELESS for another person. I started on Vioxx fine for the first week and a half then NOTHING I kept taking it but did not do a thing. after that.
    i even had a cortisone shots one in each knee ONLY lasted 3 days.
    My RA factor after doing the blood test The BASE number is 20 my RA Factor number was 135~!
    And BEFORE I started all this doctoring and stuff FOR TWENTY Years I was taking 25 Aspirins or Ibuprofens a DAY till at the end even 6 Ibuprofens at a time did NOT EVEN Touch the pain and or stiffness~!!
    That is why I HAD to go onto things much stronger~! Like Enbrel or Humira~!~
    So GO With Your Doctors Advice. as like I said they have to Try and see just what kinds of Medicine will work FOR YOU and what ones will not.
    Everybody's Body is different on how there body will react to ANY given medicine. What works for one person, may not work at all for you.~!

10. puglady

puglady Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed with RA and fibro for 11 years now. One thing that has helped me was Etodolac, which helps keep the inflammation down. But it is an extremely personalized disease in that everyone seems to be helped by different things. I will echo the fact that stress is terrible for this, and you must make sure you get enough rest. Learn to say no to the extra stuff, and let things go that won't make a difference. Moist heat helps my hands (like a rice pack), and it definitely takes a long time to warm up if I've gotten chilled.

11. dahliaqueen

dahliaqueen Apple addict

I was diagnosed with RA in 1995 and spent 2 years in pain, with severe fatigue and joint damage. I was taking Plaquenil and a generic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, which caused digestive problems and did little to alleviate symptoms. When i was going thru a divorce a couple of years later and losing my health insurance, i knew i would have to fend for myself and did extensive internet research.

The result was to totally eliminate wheat, which was said to have a very negative effect on any inflammatory condition. Two months after starting this dietary change, i was able to eliminate my prescriptions and was free of pain and inflammation for the first time in 5 years.
    Today, i feel as normal :) and my energy is sometimes better than pre-arthritis days.
    My old computer crashed so i do not have the links but i will try to find some and post them later. One of the sources was www.dadamo.com -the Blood Type Diet books by Peter D'Adamo.
    I hope this helps- and this is not as hard as you would think, at least now there is a great rice pasta that is 95% as good as wheat pasta- Past Joy by Tinkyada, an organic Canadian pasta available in all major supermarket chains around thes parts, in the health food aisle, of course.