r.h. in Oklahoma Canned Fish

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 9Pines, Sep 4, 2005.

1. 9Pines

9Pines Well-Known Member

I didnt want to drift the other thread.

Could you tell me about your canned fish you had as a child? What type of fish? How was it served after canned? What does it taste like? Tuna? Does it turn out with the same consistancy of Tuna in a can?

I've been curious about this for years..but havent really seen anyone talking about actually eating it. So I hope you dont mind me asking you the questions. thanks.

2. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Can salmon is a main stay here in Alaska. Use it just like tuna. I was scared that it would be hard to do, that I would make a mistake I didnt. Salmon is also smoked and then canned too and families normally have both types.

dipps for piolet bread and crackers. I have 8 cases done for the winter.

3. 9pines, sorry I haven't gotten back to you very fast. I've been very busy all weekend being it holiday weekend. Rough scaley fish is what mom mostly canned. Carp, drum, suckers, sandbass and perches. When I was a little kid we use to go to this dam when they would be closing the flood gates after the spring time floods. After they would close this flood gate there would be a lot of fish of all kinds that would get trapped in small pockets of water. Everybody from all over the county and surrounding counties would be there waiting for the gate to shut. Then everyone would rush down and start dip netting all the fish they could find. We would bring 2 or 3 big tubs full of fish home with us. We would spend all day and all night cleaning fish. We would remove all the scales, head, and fins from the fish and then mom would cut the fish up cross ways into like 2" chunks (leaving the bones in and the skins on) and start packing them into canning jars. If I remember right I think she always cold packed and added salt.

I always thought they were great as she would make fish patties out of them much like salmon patties. They were always my favorite. But good things always come to an end. At first they illegalized using dip nets. Now they have reconstructed the flood lane so that there are no more pockets for the fish to get holed up in when they close the gates. Mom is no longer with us and I just don't catch enough rough fish to even think about canning them anymore. Good luck if you give it a try!

4. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had the pleasure of catching many a carp. At the same time I have practiced strict adherence to the "catch and release" policy when it comes to the carp. And now your telling me your sticking them in jars. FER SHAME..

5. FER SHAME!!!!! I don't know about where you live blufford but around here many people consider them trash fish. In fact we have gigging tournaments around here in the spring time to keep them thinned out. In some places you can gig or bowfish all day and never make a dent in'em. I grew up eating them so I didn't know I was eating trash and as I said we would catch tubs full of them. I'm talking about tubs that measure about 3' across and about 2' deep and heaped over with fish. Plus, when I was a small kid I'm not sure they even had upright or chest freezers. If they did then we probably couldn't aford one so that would probably be the reason why mom canned them.

6. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I said humorously with an eye winking....

7. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:goodjob: :goodjob: Take and siene and get some red horse suckers or creek chubs or shiners.Clean and gut and scale,they have very small scales place in pint jar 1/2t salt 2TOil and 2Tmustard 1/4t of hot pepper flakes and process as your pressure canner says.10 pounds for 60min. or as you see fit they are great and taste better than those in a can

8. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

My G-Ma canned bluegills and other small fish just gutt scale them cut the fins and head off and pressure can them and almost all the bones will turn to mush when your ready to use them and just make them into patties and fry them up. the only bones I ever found was a small back bone or a piece of vetabra. Later Matt any other /'s e-mail me with canned fish in subject.