quinces

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tabitha, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

my family loves quinces and we had planned on setting out a couple of trees. but I can't find any. the catalogs I looked at did not carry them. the only source I found was in WA. I figure they should grow good here. I hate shipping them all the way from Washington though. is anyone growing them successfully? and why aren't they more popular?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I don't know how far south quince grows, but would double check with the grower in WA.

Were you able to find any growing info on quince?

I have never had it (that I know of). I do remember reading about it to my kids; The Owl and the kittycat dined on "mince, and slices of quince, which they ate with a runcible spoon." (A runcible spoon, I learned, is sort of a fancy spork!)

If I come across any quince info, I'll let you know.

Pony!

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Was the nursery you found Raintree? They seem pretty reliable... And the zones are 5-9!

Your post has me thinking about reserving a quince bush or two. Have to do a little more reading on it, but I am intrigued by the possibilities. I'm thinking that, if the quince hasn't been grown for a long time, there are probably not many fungi/bugs/other unpleasant things out there to hit it, like we have with so many of our currently popular fruits.

If you're worried about ordering from a place so far away, as long as the stock they're sending out is healthy and packaged properly, there should be no worries. I've ordered things like patchouli from New England, and as the shipper took great care in getting the product to me, it arrived in remarkably good shape.

Good luck!

Pony!

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I have ordered lots of stuff from Burnt ridge much much cheaper and I was pleased.

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out TyTy Nursery in GA. I think their prices are very good and they have a bigger selection of quinces and lots of information on them.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

thank you all, I appreciate it

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

It's always a great idea to check GARDEN WATCHDOG anytime you're ordering garden products online. The link is at the top of this forum.
    BW