Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :) I've started hand raising several lambs (all with 50% EF or more) for my dairy flock. Most are newborn and quickly associate me with their bottle :angel: But I've got a few who are a day or more old when I get them and aren't taking to me as I'd like, its a major challenge to get them feeding from a rubber nipple to start with! I keep them separate for a couple of days until they are feeding well, what can I do to encourage them to be calm and quiet? It would be a waste of time and money hand raising if they are no quieter them the ones out in the paddock :shrug:
Sheepy

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Calm, quiet and feeding time don't go together. Lambs are feed so often it will be a while before you can go out and not have them start calling for food. All of mine will mow you down to get feed, yelling all the way. But I can caught any them easily. Even have one I can trim hooves and milk with out tying up. Personly I would let the ewes raise them and start working to tame them up when you wean. G&S

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be happy if they ran up and jumped on me at feeding! As it is I'm having to catch the older ones and force the nipple into their mouths before they drink, they drink there whole bottle then! If I left them on their mothers I wouldn't even attempt to milk them, the ewes are way too wild and they teach the lambs the same. I've feed the mother ewes before, they are still insane to deal with.
Sheepy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts