Quick! Racoon stalking my daughter's new kittens

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kickapoo, May 21, 2006.

1. Kickapoo

Kickapoo Member

My daughter's cat just had kittens tonight and she found a racoon trying to climb up the porch (steps aren't built yet). I assume it would have made it and gone after the kittens. Momma cat is not house-trained so I'm not too crazy about bringing her and the kittens inside. We have a small dog (Corgy) but I don't know if it would scare a 'coon off or not. How high can 'coons jump? I have a four-foot tall table I could move the cats to if it would do any good. Any suggestions on how to protect the kittens tonight?

2. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

I don't know on the jumping but racoons are fairly large, agile, and clever. The best answer would be in a box in the house. The racoon knows there is food there now so he will most likely be back when the coast is clear.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Do you have a portable carrier for dogs or cats? One that you could close up at night,with the mama and babies inside?
    If not,I would bring them inside for the night. Having the cat poo inside would be better than finding your daughter's kittens mangled or gone. Oh,that would be terrible.
    Then tomorrow,you could figure out a way to keep them out of harm's way outside.

Do you have an outbuilding,by chance?

4. Kickapoo

Kickapoo Member

We have a carrier but it's the Corgy's bed and she wouldn't want to share it. Does a Rubbermaid shed count as an outbuilding? We could lock Momma and babies up in there overnight.

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Rubbermaid shed? I think I know what you're talking about,but not sure. Would they get plenty of air?

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

One of the most gruesome and sad sights I ever saw was what happened when a coon got a litter of kittens in the barn. Seven dead kitties, mostly in pieces. Momma was no match for the coon.

I sure hope you put them inside. If you give mom a litter box, she will use it. Cats are easy to train as the litter box suits their natural instincts. It might not be ideal, but locking them in the bathroom, basement or kitchen will save a heartbreaking mess.

Jena

7. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Give mama cat a litter box and sprinkle a little dirt over the top of the litter (or even shredded up newspapers if you don't have any cat litter around). I took in a stray a while back who would not use the litter box. She kept wanting to dig around in the house plants so I put some dirt in the litter box and she was happy to do her duty there ;)

8. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Shoot the bugger!

9. Kickapoo

Kickapoo Member

Thanks for the replies. We brought them into the basement and used the boot tray as a make-shift litter box. I'm not sure whether she used it or not. This will do for the time being. Thanks again.

10. moore_farm

moore_farm Well-Known Member

22 cal
    Then skin him and soak him in iced water with vinegar for about two days.
    Then lay some oak or pecan in your bar b que pit get it fired.
    Then season your coon up lay some veggies in there along with some of the red potatoes.
    By then you should have coals.
    Rap your coon and veggies up in foil and lay him on the pit come back in 2 and 1/2 hours and you have Sunday supper
    Plus some places you can sell the hid for about 15-20 bucks.

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) The raccoon will also be drawn by any cat food you put out for the cat. They love catfood! Putting the queen and kits will get rid of this draw also. Probably what drew the coon in the first place.

And I know it is cute to talk about shooting and cooking them...you don't want to do that. LOL There are some health issues involved and only someone who knows what the risks are should bother. As coons catch more mice and rats than cats they are quite valuable in themselves.

Good luck with the kittens and I hope you have good homes for them. ;)

LQ

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Coons also raid during daytime, if they so choose, so keep the kittens inside 24/7 if you can.

13. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Cats are easy to litter train. I have an outdoor cat staying with me now (very pregnant) and she's had no accidents. I'd bring her and mom indoors. Do you have a basement? If so, just fix up a comfortable bed for her down there. If not, set her up in your dd's room.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

You don't need to "housetrain" cats. Show them where the litter box is and they will use it immediately and consistently. Please bring them in the house! Otherwise the little kittens won't stand a chance against preditors.

donsgal