Quick questions from newbie

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Faithful Heart, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Ok.... I am getting no help from the local feed store. :grump: Is it just me? Am I just being over protective and going overboard with my little goat (and plans for future goats)? Or am I just dealing with back-woods, southern hicks that haven't got a clue???

Went shopping for stuff for my little billy. They don't carry the kind of loose minerals for goats ya' all suggested. So I got the horse minerals.

What part of the PPM am I looking for? Most of the ingredients were listed in PPM, but don't know which one I'm suppose to have in the 1000 - 1810 range. But anyway, the goat minerals were 95% salt, and the horse minerals were only 10-15% salt. Felt that was the better choice.

They had no clue as to what "ammonium chloride" is, or what it's for. It's for the kidneys/kidney stones, right? That's what I told them anyway. They'd never heard of it. :bash:

And lastly..... I give the c&d-t vaccine sub-q, right? Do a little "tent" inbetween the shoulder blades? I'm still so nervous about that part. :help: I would just DIE if I kill my wee goat. :Bawling:

Oh.... after another call I found a feed store that DOES know what ammonium chloride is. Ya! It's .75 cents a pound. How much should I buy? And still unsure about how much to give. Was told here to give 1 tsp. once or twice a week. But after some reading, one of my books says 1 tsp. daily. So which is it, and does it matter that much?

I do believe I'm head over heels in love with the little guy, and so terrified of doing something wrong. :angel: I think I'm hopeless. :rolleyes:

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if he is not getting grain he doesnt really need the Amonium Chloride, and really even if he only gets a little grain, which is great sence grain is not really needed,
    but to be on the safe side once a week would be fine, not really sure on the mineral, the range cubes i would get when they were out of the loose was balanced for all kinds of stock so i didnt worry too much about it, but they liked the loose better than the block,

3. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Faithful Heart-- I really admire how thorough you are. I actually adore how conscientious you are. :p I wish I had that in me.

Check out Hoegger Goat supply. I do believe they are in Georgia. But anyway click on http://hoeggergoatsupply.com. Then click on supplements. They have a Golden Blend of goat minerals. That's what I use. I just put a scoop in a bucket and they take what they need. I replace or freshen as needed.

As far as the shot goes, just grab some skin near the shoulder and poke and shoot. Mine don't even feel it. They just don't like me holding them. Don't worry too much, just do it.

good luck!

Jennifer

4. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

you can also put that cdt under his arm in that loose flap of skin there. just pull the front leg up and in that triangle, insert the needle, make sure no vein, and put it in. rub it good to help it dissipate and enjoy your little buck.

5. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. I'll get on outside and get that shot done.

Since the little guy is in a stall/stable type situation right now, and the fact that he's only 2 months old, I've decided to give him grain for now. He's got hay free-choice, starting the weaning off the bottle, and then a little grain (2x daily before the bottles). Plus he's so easy to handle, and walks on a lead beautifully, so I've been taking him out daily to eat some forage.

I can't help it Jennifer. :shrug: Maybe it's from my time working at an animal shelter that put it in me strong this thought..... "that if you're going to have an animal, you should investigate it's needs, and do all you can to serve them". During my time (18 months) at that shelter I had to put to sleep somewhere around 3,000 dogs and cats, and many of them showed very precious personalities. The ones that were not so nice, I knew it was not their fault - but some human's fault. Faithful Heart is actually the name of the non-profit organization I started for the county I live in to start an animal shelter. There is none now..... and BOY do the people here need educating & help. But anyway, the name is for the faithful hearts that animals have - always willing to love us, even if we're not perfect.

I know things can be done easier, and in a more relaxed way (I do know I need to CHILL a bit), but it also fasinates me to learn what any animal I have wants/needs/likes. I get a real kick out of watching this little guy - with his additude, his interests, and the choices he makes out on the pasture. Pure heaven for me. :angel:

I've rambled..... sorry. Thanks again for the guidance.