Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to get the garden cleared off and we are going to start mulching now for next year. We are saving our feedbags from rabbit and chicken feed. Our dog food bags have plastic between the layers, so they wouldn't decompose very well. Question is, will the feed bags decompose well if they are just laid on the ground, wet down, and the compost materials piled on top of them? Should we instead tear them up, or will they be fine just left whole. I would say they would be about 6 layers thick left as they are. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I believe most people are using them left whole.
Even if they dont decompose completely by spring, you can just make a hole for your plants or seeds.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I think you want your bottom layer to be pretty solid, to make it diffecult for weeds to pop up. As long as they are a natural fabric, they are going to break down over time.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's wonderful! Gonna save a lot of time with a 75 x 150 foot garden! LOL

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Unsure if fully paper bags- I use cardboard double thickness and overlap the seams since that is where the pesky weeds/grass will force through if able.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I used feed bags in my garden paths this year. Wish I'd had more, I only got one and a half paths covered.

I only put them single layer with edges overlapping and they have held up so-so. Weeds are beginning to come through some worn/torn places where I walk on them.

I think as a bottom layer to next year's garden they'd be spectacular. Like Valent said, if they don't completely disappear you can easily poke a hole in them and plant through them. They'll be *very* soft by then if you can even find them at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts