Quick question about sick calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Kim Martin, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Kim Martin

Kim Martin Well-Known Member

Hi....One of my Angus heifers gave birth to her first baby Monday...she wouldnt let us near, so we stayed away, but close enough to help if trouble came up...delievered in about a hour or so, little heifer, we let them be to get accustomed to one another, but when the rain started we moved them on up away from creek. The next day mom bedded her down in sun! Got overheated so bottled her with sheep/kid replacement milk with gatoraide mixed in...she took about a pint!...Never got very strong .....finally got mom in lane and checked her teats...had 3 of them with waxy plug...made sure all were milking ok.....still didnt want baby near back there! Rained again that night! Next morning got up, dried baby off, and took her to vet...vet drenched her with 2 pints of electrolites, 2 bolus's in case of scours, heard a rattle in her lung...no fever, but in case of pneumo, doc gave her a antibiotic shot......got her home put her and mom up in sheep/goat pole barn, so could watch them and keep other cows away so they could bond better...then we noticed...HER EYES! They are glazed over with a milky cloud, and it seems maybe she could be blind! Vet didnt notice, we never noticed, so dont know if this is new, so now what do I do? She still isnt thriving as much as my other calves have done...but...she's not prostrate on ground, tried to drench her, and bottle her, again............and she had enough energy to fight us! So....throwing arms in air...is there any alternatives? Other treatments I can try? Should this be the case...wont pass judgement till positive....just worried...REALLY dont want to have to put her down or eat her.....any ideas or advice would be SO welcome! Sad calf-grandma, kim

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you actually seen her suck on the cow? Maybe she isn't. Call the vet and talk to him and ask him about her eyes.

Bobg

3. Kim Martin

:nono: sigh...yes, the baby is sucking the mom....not as much as I would like to see, but is getting some....called the vet, he was really weirded out when I told him about her eyes...said, "Oh, it might go away in a couple of days" and hurried off phone.....

So, I went and pulled our reciept of what was done, and the antibiotic used was .......BAYTRIL.....evidently this has happened to a bunch with cats and dogs, but vets dont usually see new born calves in their office evidently...also said not to be given to animal under 3 months old, and NOT to be given to cattle unless def. diagnosis of BDR? So, :shrug:

maybe once out of her system, she might recover some...in the cats they stated that some sight would return, but could take a long while possibly...wish I knew what to give to help get it OUT of her system! sigh....

Will keep her and mom in this paddock till she is much stronger, and if sight doesnt return, will cut a acre or so out of bigger pasture and halter break her and make her a comfy little area, and get her a buddy....maybe my poor old buck when I dont need him to sire any more goat babies....
    (Right now they are laying on either side of fence from each other..he reaches thru and licks her) its cute to watch them! But as cute as is, would rather her be able to be in big pasture....shakes head...maybe soon! Crossing fingers, saying prayers, lighting candles...all and everything possible! Poor baby......Not so good farm manager, kim

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Well, I would be sorely tempted to take the Baytril information to your vet and strongly suggest he cancel the bill for those services.

5. Kim Martin

:flame: the more I have read on this drug, the HOTTER I get! They dont even allow it any more on chickens! And only on feeder lots......I've contacted the maker to let them realize that it is a :nono: for baby calves!

Going to call the vet when they open Monday morning, and have been spreading the word thru all my forums, and other vets that I have used before we moved here....

Today, she is nursing quite a bit more! (Good thing!) And is moving around according to shadows? You can see her turning head to find her mom's big shadow...and remembered when my kids were little, some antibiotics would make them light sensitive...maybe that can be a part of what's going on....(crossing fingers)

Im ready to fight them stinky vets! :mad: LOL.... We will see... :p

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you think there is light sensitivity then can you keep the cow and calf under shade for a while?

I know my eyes are very sensitive to bright sunlight. I have to wear a baseball-type cap outside.

7. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Just be patient.

Keep calf and cow close together, and let calf suck as much as it wants, as time goes along the more she sucks the more milk the cow will give.

Make sure the cow gets all the grass or hay she wants.
    Give them both a little sun if you can. Don't let calf get to hot ot to wet for a while.

Calf will get stronger, mother will get more loving toward calf.

bumpus