Quick pig question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mr. Dot, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

First weaners coming next week and are supposed to be at that time 8 weeks and 40lbs. I'm building a pen from some existing cattle panels.
    Question: can the typical 40lb piglet fit through the 6"x8" opening in a cattle panel? I'll have a hotwire at 6 or 8" but fear I should maybe string chicken wire or something along the bottom until they gain some size. I'm just not sure how large a 40lb piglet is. Opinions?

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Last tiem I tried with weaners and cattle panels the results were something like this:

fat guy chasing 5 piglets accross disced up wheat fields in ND. Get a good visual there?

They were all 35 - 45 pounds and never even slowed down to see thier pen. Off the trailer on one side and out the back of the pen and then off into 5 different directions. 3 hours and a several high speed pickup chases later they were all safe in the barn.

Ted
    (probably better suited for the pig forum?)

3. You'd be better oft if you go out and buy you some hog panels. They will have the chicken wire tord up in no time.

4. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers. I hear you on the hog panels but that's 60~80 bucks or so that's not in the budget and the cattle panels are here already. I'm thinking chicken wire to keep them from running straight through the cattle panels until they learn to call the hotwire MR. Hotwire. I was thinking one hotwire but can run multiple strands if necessary at virtually no cost. I'm still wondering how old/weight of a pig will be unable to squeeze through that 6"x8" hole?

5. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

You get em up to 60 pounds or so and they should be fine.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

the hot wire will stop them before the chicken wire needs to , should work fine
    one or two zaps , and they wont bother it again
    pigs are pretty smart that way