Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a calf i am takin to the fair and i need to put muscle on um fast so any advise will help thanks, Jessica

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
How soon is the fair? More muscle means more weight which means more feed. A local man whos kids had many Grand Champion Beef steers over the years kept them tied around the clock, then had the kids lead them around the farm for at least an hour each day. If nothing else it trained them to lead well.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Depending how you feel about them, you can go with a growth implant.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my fair is in like 3 weeks and i have looked at other calves and they look nothing like mine, I feed him a 5 gallon bucket of feed every day and i lead, bathe, and blow um dry, he looked like a really nice calf about a month ago and he has went downhill. any advise will be apreciated

·
Registered
92 Posts
has anything changed ? is he a steer or bull has it gotten warmer do you have a fan on him ? WHAT are you feeding him 5gal a day

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Assuming this is a serious post, there is very little you can do to physically change (bulk up) a calf in three weeks. What may have happened is the calf entered the rangy growth stage where he is starting to elongate and lose his baby (milk) fat.

Ken Scharabok

·
Registered
233 Posts
What kind of feed are you giving him? I assume he is also getting free choice hay and/or pasture?

Calf manna is an excellent feed to help with growth and weight gain.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Worm him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts