Quick hitch question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rockin'B, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I have a Ford 4000 and I'm getting tired of fighting with the 3 point when I'm swapping from mower to blade etc.

Would one of these make the job easier?

Any pro's and con's?

quick hitch

Thanks

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

They work great...IF youre equipment sits level when you set it down. But then, if it sits level when you set it down, the 3 point isnt hard to connect either. I have a couple of things... (blade, hay spear) that are a pain to put on, so I made stands to set them on that leaves them sitting in the right position when I disconnect them. For the blade all it took was a post in the ground to lean it against so it wouldnt tip over backwards.

3. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

I looked at it and nixed the idea when I realized must of my equipment would not fit it. The best tool I have is a 6ft long iron bar called a digger bar. It is used to break up dirt in post holes. I use it as a lever and it makes it possible to move the heavy things like the brush hog i few inches to make the hookup. I got my bar at harbor freight for $15 and is my favorite tool (besides the hammer).

4. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

Harbor freight has these or ones like it on sale for like 49.00 now... I thought for 50.00 it would be worth a try...

5. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Plan on doing some cutting and grinding on the implements to get them to hitch, especially cat I implements.

Most of them need some modifications to make them fit a quick hitch, grinding a bit of material here for clearance, adjusting implement pins so they fit the hitch, etc...

Cat II and III are better from what I hear, more standardized.

I bought one for my Kubota a while back, it fit one of the 4 implements I had at the time......so I just took it back to the store, to much work to make it fit, and if you use a post hole digger you have to take the quick hitch off anyhow.

6. Rockin'B

Thanks all for the thoughts. I was wondering where to buy those digger bars just a few weeks ago when I was digging post holes. Thanks for the tip!

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Your link is showing a picture of one of the Harbor Frieght 3pts. They are built kinda light, but are fine.

The early container load of these were built a little wrong. The place where your tractor lower arm is supposed to go in was crimped a little too narrow, & most tractor lower arm balls would not fit. Takes a bit of prying & bending to make them fit.

My understanding is the second containerload of these were built better, with the lower arm hole built to spec.

Just a head's up. HF has a sale through Xmas, $69. They also have a 15% off coupon for a lot of us, which gets it real close to the asking price there.

They work good, but - all your 3pt implements must be spaced the same, to 26 inches apart on the lower pins. Many are _not_ if you measure...... Then, the upper pin needs enough room for that top hook to slip below the pin & pick up. Again, many implements have some obstruction in the way, so that top hook doesn't work. You need to replace the bolts in the quick hitch with pins up there, and manually get the hook in the right place. Or, buy the adaptor that gets pinned in place manually. Or, modify, typically with a torch, your implement to make the hook work as it's supposed to.

Check your implements. Post hole diggers will _not_ work of course, nor will sissors-type pickup arms or bale stackers, etc.

Another alternative is Pat's Easy Change, which you can find at a sponcering web discussion board, www.tractorbynet.com. They are to clamp-on bottom grab hooks, which are much more flexable as to different implement spacings, and sure do help in getting things hooked up.

The quick hitches like you picture work very well on bigger cat 2 & 3 tractors, where the 3pt implents are much more standardized. On cat 1 or the off-breed cat 1-small, a lot of manufaturerers kinda bypassed good design......

If your implements allow for it, that quick hitch will work well.

It & the Pat's Easy will both move your implement back a couple of inches. This will make very heavy loads that much heavier. And, if your pto is a little short, it will be too short now. Just things to think of. Most of the time no problem.

--->Paul

8. Rockin'B

Rambler,

Thank you much for your info. I think Pats are sold on Ebay as well. I'll check them out

9. m39fan

m39fan Acres of Blessing Farm

I had the same idea with our Ford 2000. I bought one from Harbor Freight (from what I've seen they're all built in the same factory in China) and haven't been able to use it with anything yet. At the same time, I bought a Chinese utility fork. The two Chinese things won't work together and from what I've seen, there's no fixing it the way they're made. The quick hitch also won't work with our bush hogs (Sidewinders), our pond scoop (Dearborn) or our boom pole (King Kutter). The only thing I haven't tried on it is our bale spear as I'm not sure it would handle the weight of a large round bale. I literally threw mine across the yard last night in a fit of frustraion after chasing our bush hog around the yard for 20+ minutes only to find out the 'hogs frame is too wide. I feel that I wasted money on this thing, maybe you'll do better! Wanna buy a slightly used Q? ;-) I'm thinking of saving up for a better built JD Quick Hitch.

HTH,
    Mike

10. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Before you buy it take the time to measure the distance one of the hitch pins to the other one. If everything is the same and the hitch is the right sice you may be alright. If there are any diverence in the with then don't buy it.

11. Rockin'B

Rambler,

I missed the "sponsoring" part of your post about Pats Easy change. After looking at your link and Ebay, there is no reason to not buy from Tractorbynet!

Thanks for that link.