Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is "clean out the fridge" day. :) And since it's cold outside and spitting snow, I thought it might be a good time for veggie soup. So I just tossed it together - ground beef, tomatoes, leftover veggies and what's left of a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a handful of chopped cabbage, some potatoes and onions, garlic, and some beef broth of course. Smells lovely.

As it began to simmer, my daughter's new friend from down the street showed up. Finally one of my kids gets a friend within walking distance!

I don't know if she's staying for dinner or not. I guess that depends on whether or not she likes veggie soup. :) But what should I make with it? Normally I'd just say that IS the meal, or make grilled cheese - maybe I'll go with that.

What do you serve with veggie soup, besides bread and crackers?

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
A nice crusty italian or french bread with real butter.

Lunch meat sandwiches.

Grilled cheese

Egg or ham salad sandwiches

·
Registered
430 Posts
Cornbread sounds great. I often make cornbread with chicken noodle soup and it would be great with veg. soup too.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I always love bread & butter with soups (or rolls), cornbread would be good to. A salad. Lunchmeat sandwiches. Grilled cheese. Peanut butter sandwiches.

But frankly I would think soup with crackers or some type of bread would certainly be more than adequate. Sounds great on a cold day.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I agree, a big plate hot cornbread with veggie soup sounds delicious! :)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Mmmm, can I come for dinner too?

I'd serve it with a crusty bread, sliced and with cheese browned on top under the broiler.

I think if the visiting kid doesn't like vegetables, they can fix *themselves* a PB&J or grilled cheese.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
grilled cheese, or crescent rolls with hotdog and cheese rolled up in em. Celery sticks with peanut butter. Cream cheese on a bagle or toast. Peanut butter and honey sandwich, Yogurt??? I'm sure it wouldn't go over well with kids who aren't familiar with them, but I eat kippered herrings all the time. To me, that sounds like it would go well with soup...I eat them right out of the can.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
We usually have cornbread with vegetable soup. My mom used to make coleslaw, too.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I mixed up some cornbread and put it in the oven, then I went back downstairs to my office to study for my exams. By the time the oven beeped, they had already eaten several bowls of soup. Oh well, at least we've got a snack for later!

That soup was really good! Just like my grandma used to make, with egg noodles in it.

Thanks everyone for helping me think out loud. ;)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Just some good cornbread made in the iron skillet, and it's a meal!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Dinner is long over, but for future info... I like to do finger foods when I fix soup. Maybe some cheese stix, celery, carrots, sandwiches cut at an angle to make 4 little diamond shaped sandwiches (there's a name for them but I'm tired and can't think of it right of the top of my head).

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Cornbread gets my vote everytime to go with homemade vegetable soup. Then again, I think of cornbread as the perfect food that goes with just about any food. My dad's late night snack was always same - a big mug of cold buttermilk with crumbled up leftover cornbread smushed down in the milk.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Around here piminto cheese sandwiches go with veggie soup. yum yum.

Soup and a bread is food for kings.

Shelly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts