Quick! Help-doe in labor?!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Momof8kiddoes, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

HI all, Im totally inexperienced here. I went out tonight, and my doe was laying there grunting. She is due in a week. Figured it was labor, so I stayed around. That was at 9pm. Its now almost one...and she is up and about (was laying most of the time, grunting, sometimes wagging her tail furiously). Now that she is up, seems like nothing is going on. Ive noticed her bag getting full (its her 3rd batch of kids) lately. Her vulva looks a little swollen, but no goo coming out or anything. At this point, Im worried its NOT labor, but something else. She doestn 'look' bloated, though I just gave her some bakind soda, jic.
    If she IS in labor, how long is too long for a goat? If it isnt labor, what else should I be looking for?
    HELP!
    Mary F.

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I dont know if this is too late she should have had it by now.If she was pushing then she would have the kids within 4-6 hours.From start to finish.This is what mine do.Let us know whats happening? Mine also grunt in their last month due to being uncomfortable while laying.She could be having pressure thats why the twitching tail.

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy my maddie also grunted for about 2 months even when she was eating but then again she was HUGE!...just make sure yer gal will get up and walk around...if refuses to get up then ya have trouble and might not be labor!...keep us posted dale anne

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. There's grunting and there's grunting. If she was pushing, I'd be concerned about positioning. If she was just grunting, a heavy doe will often do that for the last month or even more. Heck, I expect I grunted a bit myself the last month or so.
    mary

5. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

alot of times goats grunt near the end of their pregnancy because the babies take up so much room, they have less room to breathe...just like us human moms...!

This year they grunted more than last and it was comical as they did alot of head shaking.

We have a moniter and at night especially I would hear them shaking their heads and their ears flapping against them when they did it. One started it for about a week and then they all started doing it. It was funny. Once they had their babies, the grunting and head shaking stopped.
    they were too busy then to care about coppying eachother...

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

grunting just goes with preggers and goats. you should be in my goat house, about 4 to 6 weeks before the due dates, it sounds like a grunting contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    she is fine. she will get up and down, and slide next t othe fence, or building, she is lining those kids up, and all part of getting ready.

7. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    sorry I didnt post sooner...I actually thought I did, but it was to another list..ack.
    Thanks SO Much for the info...I had NO idea they did this...duh.
    Always learning!!
    Mary F.