Quick Dewormer Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmer Chud, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Farmer Chud

Farmer Chud Member

Hey All,

I have a quick question about deworming practices. I just bought two, 5 month old nubian does. I am going to start them on Ivomec once a month. I am also going to give them Valbazen for tapeworms but I was wondering if it is safe enough to give them it once a month as well?

Cheers,

Jim

2. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

i don't think you want to worm once a month - your worms will become
    resistant to the wormer and you could end up with no wormer working..
    there are several theories to worming.. one is to check the eyelids and if they are pale (white) and not pink - your goat may have a high worm load and you would want to worm them.. this theory you cull goats with high worm loads that need to me wormed medicinally.. building a natural immunity in your herd..

but even if you worm regularly it should be more seasonally then monthly..
    like after pregancy or at high stress times or spring time.... making sure you are dosing strong enough to accomplish killing the worms...

janis

3. Farmer Chud

Farmer Chud Member

Thank you Janis. The woman I bought the goats from suggested Ivomec monthy. I am glad I asked on here. I wonder if I should look at natural means like wormwood or diatomaceous earth in their food?

Cheers,

Jim

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Some people in a area high in deer worm do worm once a month. How is you pasture, is there streams can deer jump the fence? You can always do a fecal and find out if you goat even has worms..
    Liz in NY

5. Farmer Chud

Farmer Chud Member

Hi Liz,

You make a really good point. Matter of fact, I am looking at microscopes on ebay right now. Read the instructions on doing your own fecals on Fias Co Farm and it looks like it is pretty straight forward. I will just need to get use to playing in dooky. :rolleyes: I haven't even had to take their temps yet, so i still have that to look forward to as well. :lol

Cheers,

Jim

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I would definitely do a fecal if you're going to continue using Ivomec, especially if they've been given it once a month in their old home. We got two does from a farm that worms almost that often, alternative Ivomec paste and Ivomec injectible (used as an injectible :nono: ), and when we wormed them with Ivomec, the worms were back in weeks. So chances are pretty good that your goats will have worms resistant to Ivomec, since it's been used so much.

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep in mind the responses thus far are from people "Up North" where the ground actually may freeze in the winter. Though ours didn't do much of that this past year. :grump:
    Our worm burdens are going to differ, usually fairly largly, than yours.

I would suggest finding a couple (more than one for sure) of goat breeders in your area and asking how they do it. Talk to your vet. Get a couple of fecal samples done before and after worming.