Quick chicken house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lois, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Lois

Lois Active Member

I'm moving to my dream homestead in a few weeks and need to put up a quick chicken house for a dozen hens. There's a few boards available, but most materials will have to be purchased. Does anyone have an idea how to house chickens with a quick, temporary shelter?

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Build a chicken tractor (lots of plans and ideas online). Or you could build a hoop house for them. I have a small hoop house for my buck goat. I built a square frame of treated 2x4's on the ground, eight feet wide and in multiples of 52" long. Then I used cattle panels to make the arch over the frame. This would really work best with someone to help you, though I did manage by myself. You need fencing staples, long ones, and a hammer, to fasten the cattle panels to the wood frame. Because we sometimes get quite a bit of snow here (though not much this winter) I put a center support in it, as I've heard of people having these collapse if they get too much snow on them. Then I covered the arch with a big, heavy-duty tarp, silver side out to help keep it a little cooler in the summer. That is fastened to the boards in the bottom frame with lathe and wood screws as it will have to be replaced every couple of years. This whole construction is light enough to be moved around once in a while. For poultry, you'd want to close in the ends. This won't keep determined predators out -- you really need a good dog, one you can trust not to bother your hens, that can be loose in the area around the poultry shelter at night and hopefully protect them.

Kathleen

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

We use the chainlink utility pens with a currogated roof. Only 1 coop is anctual coop, the rest are made from these. You can get them at Home Depot of Lowes.

5. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I built a quick one using five fence posts, two in back and 3 in front.
    scrap 2x4's top, bottom and sides. Plank door. covered with old galvanized roofing, window on 2 sides with scrap hardware cloth, dirt floor.
    Works fine for me. About 6' x 8'.

6. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

7. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

One of mine is made from a 6 ft long 6 ft. tall narrow dog run with a small but tall coop in one end. We took the end panel out and built the coop in the opening. Put some chicken wire over the top and uas a tarp in winter if you want.
    The other is four ft of mobile home siding recycled from a junk heap we had to tear down, nailed to a frame of 2x4's with bird netting 3 ft from the siding to the roof with more netting across the top this one has a big dog house in it. The birds like the dog house best and fight over who's next to lay thier eggs in it. I think it's because I have a had time getting to the nest and they a entertained by the sight.
    Both of these took an afternoon to build. PAM

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Although a bit price, stop by lowes/home depot and pickup one of the sheds they sell. Depending on how pretty it has to be there are lots of options.

9. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

10. Lois

Lois Active Member

Hey, thanks a bunch, everyone! What great ideas! I really appreciate the input. I could build a dozen quick coops now.