Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the thread about quick bayt for flies. Sounds good.

Just curious, though, how those with goats use it--what form. Our local coop has a 5 pound bucket for $24. But you can't sprinkle it where animals can get to it. Can you put it up somehow above their heads? Do you just buy the strips or some other form of it? Can you utilize the granual form of Quick Bayt in a barn with goats? Or cats....we're probably going to get a couple mousers some time.

Dee

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,506 Posts
The only form that was locally available was the strips. :grump:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I mixed the granules with water in an old Frisbee, and put it on a high shelf in the barn. It is supposed to have a bittering agent that makes animals not want to eat it. I saw some was eaten one day, and assumed it was the cat. She never showed any negative effects, and hasn't eaten any since.

I had another Frisbee full on the floor of the garage, because that is where our turkey brooder was. The other animals are not allowed in there. My Great Pyrenees puppy snuck off when I was doing chores, and ate a whole bunch of it.

I called the company and the vet on call said that an upset tummy was the worse she would suffer. She never acted like she felt bad, but she did throw up a load of pink poison, and half digested flies.

I have since put the Quickbayte in the garage on a shelf as well, but I wonder if my puppy learned her lesson, and would leave it alone if she saw it again.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The stuff is AMAZING. The only animals you have to worry about are poultry, I think.
We sprinkle a few granules where flies naturally congrgate - on poo in tha barn is the favorite. (We leave the poo for a day with granules on it, then rake the following day) - when we use it, we lock the chickens up, but you really need so little and use it in spots that goats and cats and dogs wouldn't be eating anyway that it is not a problem.

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
Does anyone know if say our poultry eat flies that have eaten the Quick Bayt - is that OK? That is been our biggest concern.

Thanks.

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
I was not only afraid of the goats getting into it, but also the chickens, who free range during the day and sometimes wander in the barn and such...so, we simply took small plastic gladware containers. Made holes on each side of the container. Put wire thru each hole and brought them together on top. (leaving enough wire to wrap around the cross beams and such in the barn) Hung them up high and pour the bait in. It was amazing!!! We are going to dump and reload the bait stations today. Just taking out a garbage bag, tipping the old stuff into it and reloading. It's good stuff.
susie, mo ozarks

·
Registered
220 Posts
My Guineas and chickens eat the flies killed by the Quick Bayt all the time, and have had no ill effects. They treat the baited areas as their own personal buffets. The barn cats also occasionally walk through it and have had no problems. I tried containers up high where the animals could not get to it, but it seems much more effective when used lower to the ground. Since most of my poultry can fly they were able to get to it no matter where I put it.

Debbie

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I sprinkle it right on the ground in areas where humans walk? Right outside the goat gate and down the walkway to the milkstand there are tons of flies right now. The goats walk through it, but never stay there as it's outside their pen. We walk through it as it is in the main barn area. Is this o.k.?

Dee

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Dee it's just wasteful to do it that way. It really works best on a big wide surface, like how I do it on a feed sack, this way you can shake off the dead flies, and just add some more quickbayt to the top, the dried up quick bayt ontinues to work, so don't throw it out. I then move the feed sacks out to the trash (I keep mine sort of clean looking in the barn :). I don't like the stations for the same reason, it keeps the quick bayt all covered up by dead flies on top, making it not work as effectively. Love this stuff. Vicki

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,506 Posts
Vicki,
Would you explain how you do the Quickbayt on a feed sack again? Thanks!

Rose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts