Quick Answer needed

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by QBVII, Dec 21, 2006.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

When you buy a car from an individual, and the person signs the title of the car over to you, do they have to go with you to have it notarized or do you take it yourself?

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

The notary is SUPPOSE to see the signature signed in front of them for it to be notarized that that person did indeed do the signature.

Angie

3. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

The person signing the car over to you can sign off in front of a notary whenever they have time, and THEN give you the title later. That way, you don't both have to go to the notary at the same time. But yes....it DOES have to be notarized in front of a notary. They can't just sign it.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

In Illinois, the person who sells you the car signs the title at the time of sale. The buyer brings it in to the DMV or the Currency Exchange at her/his convenience (but within thirty days, I think).

I've never had to have a seller signature notarized on a title, and I've bought/sold a LOT of cars.

But, like I said, that's in IL.

Pony!

5. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

I'm a notary in Ohio... one of the first things that they advise you before you go through the commission process is to have both parties present. There are many notaries who will do so without both parties present, but the notary can loose their commission & be fined if something comes up down the road and it turns out there is a problem with the information on what you are saying that you have verified. I know things do vary from state to state..... don't know if I helped or not but....good luck.

6. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

In my state you can just sign the title over but I would never let a vehicle
    leave my property until the title was transfered. I just recently checked into this and you are responsible for that vehicle as long as it's titled in your name.

7. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

In my state, there is a detachable form on the title for seller to fill out and send to DMV. Who you sold it to, how much and on what date you surrendered the vehicle to them, clearing seller of any further liability. No notary needed.

8. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Maybe you should just call your local license bureau and ask? Each state is obviously different. I, too, am in Ohio, and I bought a car (ebay) from Pennsylvania. The guy just signed the title and mailed it to me! I had the worst time getting it notarized and returned to me so I could get plates.

Another time, I felt sorry for someone I didn't know and gave them a car. I signed the title over to them (notarized properly). He was supposed to take it to the license bureau and get it put in his name and buy tags that weekend when he got his paycheck. Fast forward 3 months. I get a phone call and a bill from a local towing place that I owe for nearly 3 months of storage and a tow bill. The guy DIDN'T buy the plates or have it switched, and when he ran out of gas, left it sitting on the road. It was towed and eventually tracked to me, since I had the last legal title. Ouch.

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

That's the way it's done in Minnesota, too....no notarizing is required.

As the buyer, who cares if the pervious owner's signature is notarized or not...you have the title! As a seller, I would request that the title be transferred in my presence at the DMV. That way I make sure the title is transferred into the buyer's name....just in case the vehicle is used for some illegal purpose or gets a parking ticket in the future. Six months down the road I wouldn't want the cops knocking on my door because the vehicle was still in my name.

10. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I'm a notary - if a signature on any document must be notarized, then the document must be signed by the person doing the signing in front of a notary and then their signature is notarized by the notary. Whether or not notarization is required in any particular state is another matter.

MaryNY

11. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

HERE in KY, you have to sign it INFRONT of the NOtary, or the DMV wont take it, some times they themselves are a notary also, you would have to call your branch. AND MAKE sure that said person takes it out of their name immediatly or you will have to pay more taxes, KY IS weird ( compared to michigan where we came from)

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

In California its smart to go to DMV and fill out a 'release of interest in vehicle' form ASAP.
    Protects you from next owner doing something stupid.

Ive never needed a notary to sign off on the title paperwork.

Ive learned my lesson,its to the DMV with buyer when I transact a deal.Actually I use AAA in California,they can do all non commercial vehicle transactions.Beats the DVM by about, oh,......... 800 billion percent.

BooBoo

13. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I think in Texas, you can just sign the title, but it is best to make sure the title is changed over.

We once sold a car to a used car dealer - and just signed over the title. About 4 years later, the phone rang one night and someone identified themselves as a Dallas police officer and asked if we owned this car. I wasn't sure the person really was who he said and if he wasn't, I didn't think it was any of his business.

I asked 'why' and he said it had been involved in a crime. OK, I'm thinking maybe fender bender, something minor. I asked what kind of crime and he said murder. I began singing like a canary. It seems the car had changed hands at least 3 times and had never been recorded.

Since then, if we are selling to an individual or doing anything but a trade in - my husband goes to the courthouse with the buyer and gets the title changed.

14. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

In Ms. there is no need for a notary, just sign the title. It wasn't that long ago that all cars in Alabama did not have titles.