Questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by henryblowery, Jul 12, 2005.

1. henryblowery

henryblowery Member

I would like to start raising bees sept for I have a few probalems :( . I live in a city and my neigbors(sp?) are just about fed up with me already. So, I thought I would rent them out to a orchord(or just let them have them for free) but the nearest orchord is 3 hours away. I'v hered that it does'nt take that long to take care of a hive(I'v hered 7 hours a year) but I don't know if that is spread out or if I can do it every so often???? Also if I rent them out to a orchord what is the smallest number they would deal with? What do I need to get started off and how much will it cost? Thanks.
    Gray

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Is there a farmers market where you live? You can ask the sellers if ythey would be interested in a hive or 2.

In a good location, a hive can bring in a LOT of honey, which perhaps the farmers marketer could sell for you (for a cut) after you put it in nice jars with handsome lables.

3. henryblowery

henryblowery Member

Terri,
    yes I do have a farmers market around here.
    I'v been looking abound at hives and the prices are not what I expected :mad: the ones I looked at were about $140 or so then I have to get the bees and other equipment. So, that made me wonder can I make my own hives? has anybody tryed it? I know that there complicated but I thought that it would be worth a ask.
    Gray

4. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

I've made some of my stuff, but you have to find a good deal on wood. Most often, it's cheaper to buy the boxes from a local beekeeping supply company. Inner covers, and top feeder boards are exceptions because they can be made from scrap plywood.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter