Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First questions is on the taste of milk from ND.
I have never tasted goats milk, I was raised on a dairy farm, so only cow milk. I have thought of milking goats. I have heard it has a definite goat taste, but am assuming it would be good.
I guess I will have the chance to find out in the near future, Now that I have them I am really curious.

The other question is how long will it take before they don't smell like buck anymore. These 2 smell like they are bucks, I believe they were always with a buck up until the last few weeks. They love attention and get lots of hugs but I have to shower after I spend time with them. I hope it doesnt' last too much longer

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it will wear off soon, I should have awhile before they kid. So I will have to read up on milking a goat and find out what I need to get. It would at least help out the grocery bill.
Hubby will have to build me a milk stand.
I have thought about getting a milk goat for awhile, Just was not sure about the taste. Now that I have my girls, I am going to have to at least try, I don't have an excuse not to now.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I'm very picky on food and pick up taste VERY easily. I LOVE the milk from ALL of my nigerians and mini lamanchas (half nigerian). I've owned one purebred lamancha and one purebred nubian. I didn't like either of their milk as I had a bit of "goat" aftertaste. Neither was penned with a buck either and milk was clean and refrigerated immediately after milking, I just didn't care for either one.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Hopefully it will wear off soon, I should have awhile before they kid. So I will have to read up on milking a goat and find out what I need to get. It would at least help out the grocery bill.
Hubby will have to build me a milk stand.
I have thought about getting a milk goat for awhile, Just was not sure about the taste. Now that I have my girls, I am going to have to at least try, I don't have an excuse not to now.
It will cut down on your grocery bill but then you'll have a hay/feed bill. And PLEASE don't get just 1 goat. Get at least 2. They are herd animals and will definitely benefit from having a companion.

The taste of milk depends on a few factors. Feed, cleanliness of equipment, proximity to the buck. I've noticed subtle taste differences with different breeds also. If you're used to 2% or skim, it may take time to get used to whole milk, if you're used to pasteurized milk, it may take time to get used to raw. In our herd, milk tastes different in the spring than compared to the fall. Subtle change when switching hays, too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luckily I don't have to worry about hay, and I have 4 pygmy does and 1 pygmy wether, and now 2 nigerian dwarf. I was raised on raw cows milk, and I love that, but if we don't like the taste, I will at least be able to bottle feed the babies with it, without having to buy extra cows milk.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try giving them a bath, it might help a lot with the smell. Speaking from experience, ND's fit in the bath tub just fine when they need a bath in the winter.
It took us a little bit to figure out how to handle the goats milk properly. Don't shake it, and make sure it gets in the fridge as fast as possible, and the milk filters are worth the money. Age of the milk is also a factor, we usually only use it for 24-36 hours, but I know others will use it longer. All those things will affect the taste of your milk. All of our does are dry right now and we are just waiting till kidding time in Feb. We miss our fresh milk. Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Your refrigerator is pretty much useless for chilling fresh milk. On average, it takes 24 hrs. for the fridge to get it down to 40 degrees. Chill it in an ice-bath, then refrigerate.

Madfarmer

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Ah, yes, it's nice to have winter sometimes! My milk is chilled the instant it comes out of the teat and yes, I have had it freeze on impact! YIPES! Thankfully this year we haven't been below -7F but we usually do hit -35F at least once a year.

Even at these temps., I can set the jar of fresh filtered milk in the snowbank until I am done with chores (about an hour or so) and then bring it in to drink or put in the refrigerator. Yum!

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
You might try getting some milk to taste from another ND owner in your area. It *should* taste very clean and sweet with no aftertaste or smell.

Sorry to say, your girls may continue to smell like buck until they shed out or are clipped in the spring! Depends on how... strong the boy was and how clean you keep the girls. If they can get into a clean, dry area that is well ventilated, I find the smell dissipates a lot faster than if they do not have fresh, dry bedding and a chance to go out and rub on things or play in the snow, etc.

The nice thing about goat hooves is that they don't scratch the tub or shower and they aren't slick so they can "grip" the tile pretty well (unglazed) while you hold them. I am glad you brought this up because even in the winter, I can bring my goats indoors for a shower and let them dry before they go back out so I may just do that with a couple of the dirtier ones! But the bucks, well they will probably just have to wait until spring as they are in full rut now and washing them would only be a waste of time! They'd just get all stinky all over again in a heartbeat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts