Questions to ask previous goats' family

Discussion in 'Goats' started by frugalwilady, Nov 10, 2005.

1. frugalwilady

frugalwilady Well-Known Member

My daughter is in college w/ a girl who's family adopted goats from the Minnesota Zoo. They took them so they wouldn't be put down(I didn't think zoos did that) and now are looking for a good home for them. All her friend knew about them is one is a doe and one is a wether.They are tan in color and full sized. I am calling her mom tommorrow to find out specifics but I'm assuming animals from a zoo have to be in excellent health. What I am asking is if anyone has any suggestions for questions I need to ask besides the obvious age, breed, origin,feed,ect.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

I know a few people who might want them. I'll pm you :)

Liz

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Shots? last CD&T shot and/or rabies

Last date of worming and with what wormer?

Exposure to bucks in case possibly bred.....

Testing for CAE and CL....see links at top of page

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I agree...please ask about CL and CAE. I was horrfied when I visited a county zoo last year and the goats' hooves were terribly overgrown, several knees were swollen, and several looked as if they chould have been put dwon many years ago. Children were feeding the goats handful after handful of field corn. They were part of a petting zoo, and they looked as if they should be quarantened! The health of animals SHOULD be a priority, but I'm afraid to said some zoo aniamls look as if they need to be rescued. Hopefully, my admission fee went toward much needed vet care for those sweethearts.