questions on breeding...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs_stuart, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone could help me out...i have a few questions on breeding. We have 1 ober doe and 1 ober buck. We have had dow for 1 1/2years and she has never been bred. We had other goat in the past with her, all does. We have had buck for 3 1/2 months. We have them together. He wasn't "feeling" very good when we first got him, we wormed and got him feeling better in about a month or so. Well, i did notice her coming into season...and she would not allow him to do anything. of course, this happen again several weeks later and then the third time, I have not noticed anything since. No signs from the doe and I do not know if she is bred or not. Is there anyway to find out? If she is, is it going to hurt to leave the buck in the same area with her or should they be apart? Will the buck change his actions when she is bred? What should i be looking for??? Any help will be appreciated. They books just dont seem to really explain it and i was hoping to get a "real" opinion. thanks

Belinda

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The buck always thinks the doe is ready before she is actually in standing heat. That means he'll chase her all around, and maybe the next day, she'll stand for him to breed. Chances are if she has not cycled again, she was bred. You may have just missed it. It won't hurt to leave the buck with her for awhile, but he will need to be separated before due dates approach.

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I agree, until she looks preggers, she should be ok living together with the buck.

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

ok, that makes since. I will keep an eye open and see what happens. If i dont see any signs of heat again in a month or so, i will go ahead and seperate then. Thanks.

Belinda

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Once all the girls are bred we open almost all the gates and the entire herd, bucks included, functions as a family unit until just before kidding, then the buck go back to the rear pastures. Seems to work out very well for us.