Questions; New Pygmy Goat Owner

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KannapolisPygmy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. KannapolisPygmy

KannapolisPygmy New Member

Hi, I'm new here and a new Pygmy Goat owner. If anyone could answer a couple of my questions I'd really appreciate it.

A few months back, I bought a house with a nice fenced yard and a big, wired shed. I decided to get a pygmy goat as a pet. I purchased a little white doe kid from a wonderful local farm, and my roommate decided to buy a black and white kid who wasn't quite ready to go yet. When she picked him up, the owners realized that he was male (they have quite a few goats). My roommate was supposed to take him with her when she moved, but now it looks that that's not going to happen. So my first question is this: The two goats have the same sire, and so are half-siblings. If they mate, is that too close an inbreeding? I know it's not in dogs, but I know nothing of the breeding of pygmy goats. Any kids they would have would be strictly pet animals, so I'm not worried about shows or milk or anything, I just want to know how common genetic defects are in kids born from half-sibling inbreeding. Should I get the buck neutered?

Second question: the buck is about 8 months old; he has 8" horns and a beard so far, if that helps establish his age. Right now, he is very friendly, affectionate, and a little shy. Do the bucks generally mature at a specific age and get more aggressive, or will a friendly buck remain friendly?

And finally: When I first bought the goats, I bought hay and then went to the local Tractor Supply store for feed. They suggested a 10% sweet general stock feed; I have been using that in addition to the hay and the forage/grass they eat in the yard (they're my lawnmowers too :cool: ). I have had a couple horse-people friends tell me they thought the sweet feed was way too rich for pygmy goats. Any answers??

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!!

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I have not had Pygmy's very long either, but I have done a tremendous amount of Research and asking other Breeders that I know.
    As far as inbreeding I have found that it is fine in Goats as long as there is not some kind of Genetics that you do not want to be past on. Like some desease, or odd behavior or whatever. Also I have found some breeders inbreed to carry on certain genetics so it is pretty much left up to you to decide what is in the best interest.
    On the topic of feed. You need to make sure they have the proper amounts of the right ingredence. Sheep and Goat Feed is not a good choice because it does not have Copper in it. Goats need some Copper but it is lethal to Sheep so it is not in the feed. Although a Buck does not need much Copper at all because it can cause Urinary Calculi. Goats also need the right ratio of Calcium and Phosphorus. Are you giving lose minerals free choice. Goats can have lots of problems if they dont have the minerals they need.
    As far as your Buck maturing and staying friendly I dont know for sure because I have only had Does. What experience I have had with my neighbors and freinds Bucks is if you dont try to play with them and get them to butt on you and get rough with them they are usually pretty tame. I use to play with my Neighbors buck when he was younger and stick my hand out and hit at his head like another buck would butt at him and he would butt my hand and push on me. I did this for awhile until I went over there one day and not paying attention I was working with another Doe and had my hand out like I would if I was playing with him and he charged at me and butted me from behind and I ended up with a broke wrist. So needless to say I dont play with him. I still have to watch him. He thinks I am going to play with him.
    So I hope some of this helps
    Tina

3. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

heres a link to some infull http://www.goatworld.com/links/articles.shtml

4. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

heres a link to some info you might find helpfull http://www.goatworld.com/links/articles.shtml